Parent Information

Guide to University

Applying, accepting, organising and preparing for University for the first time can seem like a daunting experience with all that needs to be done. We have put together a quick guide to help:

Your 1st choice university is your Firm Choice. Your 2nd Place university is known as your Insurance Choice. Confused by some of the terminologies? Read this brief UCAS guide. 

  1. Make sure you apply for any funding that you may be eligible for.
  2. If possible, visit us at one of our Open Days and take a tour of the accommodation. 
  3. Apply for accommodation as soon as you have your student number - this applies to a student holding either a Conditional or an Insurance offer to study. Do NOT wait until results day!

We also ask that you encourage the student to complete all the processes themselves. Much of the important information that they need to be aware of can be missed if you apply, accept or complete information on their behalf.

After the 1st Year

Looking for accommodation after your 1st year can seem like a daunting task, but don’t worry, as here in Swansea, we are fortunate to have both an ample supply of quality student accommodation and Swansea City Council who have very high inspection standards of private accommodation.

There are several options open to our returning students. You can apply to:

Managed by Residential Services

  • Stay in university accommodation*
  • Rent a private house through SAS Lettings.

*Some restrictions may apply to give priority to 1st-year students. Our Allocations Policy. This is reviewed annually.

Managed by Private Landlord

  • Look through our Studentpad database where you will find hundreds of properties.

Think before you rent!

  • Don’t pay any arrangement fees! Some Agencies will charge a non-refundable fee for signing you up to a property.
  • Have you looked at more than 1 property to see the range of prices and quality?
  • Take time to consider where you want to live and who you want to live with.
  • Remember that once you have signed an accommodation contract (and paid a deposit), it is very difficult and sometimes impossible to cancel the contract.
General Information

As a parent or guardian, we want to ensure that you have enough information to help guide your son/daughter through the start of university life.

For each site, there is a whole host of information available, such as Full Postal Address, Insurance Details, Residents' Handbook and more. There is also information on where students go to get help, support and advice. Just click on the site below for specific information.

Click here to read more information on:

We have a range of types, prices and locations of accommodation, so make sure you check what is important with regards to; location, budget and course length:

Data Protection

Residential Services and Data Protection

Many parents/guardians pay the accommodation fees. However, the legal contract is between Residential Services and your son or daughter. As such, due to Data Protection regulations, we can usually only discuss the details with them directly.

It's not that we don't want to talk to you, we just have a legal requirement to adhere to guidelines on what information we can give you. We will happily to talk to you about any general queries, but we can't go into specific details unless there are exceptional circumstances preventing your son or daughter from contacting us. Plus we must have your son or daughter's written permission for us to do so.

Any residence invoices (accommodation fees) will be sent directly to your son or daughter's University email address. If you need to know the details, you will need to ask your son or daughter to forward it to you. This is also the case for any issues that they may have. We cannot communicate with 3rd parties and will always respond to the student directly if we receive any correspondence.

Did you know?

When to apply for accommodation?
  • As soon as you have a student number, you can apply for accommodation.
  • Applications normally open in February.
  • We accept applications for accommodation even if Swansea is your Insurance Choice.
  • We will not allocate your accommodation until your offer to study has been accepted.
  • We do not ask for a deposit unless you are allocated and you wish to accept your offer of accommodation.

Visit our webpage for more information on applying for accommodation.

We accept applications for accommodation even if Swansea is your Insurance Choice, and we do not ask for a deposit unless you are allocated and you wish to accept your offer of accommodation.

About our Guarantee

A place in residence is guaranteed to all new full-time undergraduate students who:

  • Hold and accept a firm offer to study on a full-time degree course at Swansea &
  • Make an application for accommodation by 30 June

This means, to be guaranteed a place in residence, you must be studying full-time, meet the terms of your offer from Swansea, and apply for accommodation by 30 June.

Applications received after 30 June are allocated by date order alongside Insurance and Clearing Students.

Some residences are very popular and heavily subscribed. Therefore, we do not guarantee a place in a particular residence.

If an application is received after 'A' level results, or students are coming through Clearing, we appreciate that there is very little time until the start of term, and it may take a couple of weeks to process your application. Here are a few things that you can do to prepare. Check our pages on Preparing for Arrival. This will help you plan.

Our A-Z of Information

We have a whole host of information on our Website including:

What Support is available?

There is a full support network for students from:

Our Residence Life Co-ordinator and Residence Life AssistanceHere to support you with any accommodation issues.

  • Welfare@CampusLife provides advice and guidance to students on a range of welfare issues, including homesickness, culture shock, bereavement, bullying, harassment, relationship breakdowns and much more. Everyone has a different student experience when they start University. Be assured that we are just as concerned about students' welfare as we are about their academic studies and performance.
  • Money@CampusLife provides advice and guidance on all student money-related issues. For many students, starting university will be the first time they will have managed their own finances. Meeting this challenge successfully will help ensure students achieve their maximum potential whilst studying and will contribute to a positive student experience
  • International@CampusLife provides information and advice on non-academic matters, including immigration advice and services to all international (non-UK) students and their dependents.
  • Wellbeing@CampusLife for students experiencing difficulties and need support. They can point you towards what type of service or support would be most beneficial.
  • Disability@CampusLife If you have a disability, medical condition or specific learning difficulty, contact Disability@CampusLife to find out more about the support that is available to ensure you have the same opportunities as everyone else. 

Let us know how we can improve our information!

We are really passionate about providing as much information to make the move to University as easy as possible. Whilst we can't change everything, the things that we can, we try to do as quickly and effectively as possible and regularly update our website and communications following enquiries and feedback.  

Let us know if you have any comments, suggestions or feedback on how you think we can improve our services: Please click here to give us your feedback.



Communicating Clearly

We’re passionate about providing clear information throughout the accommodation process.  We regularly update our website and communications following enquiries and feedback.  If you have any comments or suggestions, we’d really appreciate your feedback: Click here to give us your Feedback