The first phase of the Institute of Life Science (ILS1) opened its doors in 2007 and was hailed the Jewel in the Crown of Wales for its vision to drive medical research for the health, wealth and wellbeing of the people of Wales. Valued at £52 million, it brought to life a six-storey purpose-built facility at the western end of the University’s Singleton Park campus, strategically located between the Medical School and Singleton Hospital.
Institute of Life Science
Institute of Life Science 1
The Institute of Life Science 1 opened in 2007. Its graceful design incorporates a full-height atrium and makes imaginative use of materials to maximise natural light. Over six floors, it houses state-of-the-art research laboratories, dedicated business incubation facilities for our client organisations and a relaxed café area where ideas can be shared and staff and students can interact. On a day-to-day basis, it houses over 200 specialists in medical science research and teaching, business development and technology transfer.
Institute of Life Science 2
The Institute of Life Science 2 (ILS2) hosts a number of key research facilities including the Centre for NanoHealth, a £22million open access Research & Development facility dedicated to the advancement of healthcare through the application of nanotechnology, a Joint Clinical Research Facility (JCRF) focusing on innovative medical treatments to common illnesses, and state of the art Clinical Imaging Facility (CIF) with advanced MRI and CAT scanning facilities to support Medical imaging research and Clinical Oncology trails.
Our ILS2 building also offers a number of ‘incubation’ units, offering rental space to start-up companies working in the area of Life Science.
What goes on in the Institute of Life Science
Many Medical School students undertaking research projects as part of their studies will do so under the supervision of world-leading academics and researchers based in ILS1. For BSc students, these take place over 3 months in the final year, while MSci students will spend their entire final year developing an extended research project. Postgraduate Research students will be based amongst experts in their chosen research theme.
- Applied Medical Sciences (with Foundation Year), Bsc (Hons)
- Applied Medical Sciences, BSc (Hons)
- Biochemistry, BSc (Hons)
- Medical Biochemistry, BSc (Hons)
- Biochemistry, MSci (Hons)
- Medical Biochemistry, MSci (Hons)
- Biochemistry and Genetics, BSc (Hons)
- Biochemistry and Genetics, MSci (Hons)
- Genetics, BSc (Hons)
- Genetics, MSci (Hons)
- Medical Genetics, BSc (Hons)
- Medical Genetics, MSci (Hons)
- Medical Pharmacology, BSc (Hons)
- Population Health and Medical Sciences, BSc (Hons)
- PhD / MPhil / MSc by Research
Over the six floors of ILS1, you will find four modern research laboratories equipped with the latest instrumentation for biomolecular analysis, such as confocal microscopy, high content imaging, flow cytometry suite, mass spectrometry, DNA sequencing facility and bioinformatics capabilities.
These major facilities enable delivery of research and innovation across the Medical School’s major Research Themes: Biomarkers & Genes, Devices, Microbes and Immunity, and Patient & Population Health and Informatics. Applicants applying for a research degree are encouraged to relate their application to one of these four themes.
Are you an early stage life science enterprise with aspirations of growth? The ILS environment helps innovative organisations to grow quickly. Become a Client Organisation and rent an office suite in one of our buildings, or an Affiliate Member, and become part of our vibrant network of like-minded businesses in life sciences without being physically based here. While there are different membership packages, the benefits are the same:
- An Office suite within the ILS with access to facilities to develop your business idea
- Access to laboratory space
- Meeting and conference rooms, including specialist facilities and equipment, with some limited free use
- Seminars and workshops organised by the Medical School
- Networking events, providing the opportunity to collaborate with other Affiliates and Client Organisations
- Access to Business Support staff
Interested in applying or finding out more? Find out about our Affiliate and Tenant Scheme.
- School Homepage
- Pathways to Medicine
- Research at the Medical School
- Enterprise & Innovation at the Medical School
- Medical School Partners
- Medical School Facilities
- Medical School Professional Development
- Countdown To Freshers
- Medical School Staff
- Latest News
- Welcome to the Medical School
- Athena SWAN at the Medical School