In the Chemical Engineering department, our facilities feature cutting-edge equipment that closely emulates the tasks performed by industry. By utilizing a hands-on approach, we aim to equip our students with the necessary skills and experience to excel in their careers after graduation from Swansea.
Jack Richardson Pilot Plant
We have the Jack Richardson Pilot Plant which contains an array of pilot scale equipment including:
- Two Distillation Columns (Custom Built for us here in Swansea)
- Two Film Evaporators
- A number of different types of Heat Exchangers
- Fluidised beds
- Ultrafiltration membrane rig
- Reverse Osmosis membrane rig
- Precipitation and Flocculation rig
We also run a unit operations module in the lab (EG220) in which students design and build and test their own pilot-scale rig from a ‘brief’ that they are provided, mimicking the sort of work they will do in industry once they have graduated from Swansea.
Chemical Engineering Laboratory
Within the laboratory we run traditional ‘bench chemistry’ for up to around 70 students, we also have a number of pieces of benchtop scale process engineering equipment such as fluidized beds, distillation columns and heat exchangers. These are used by the first years before they ‘graduate’ to the pilot equipment in B013 in the second year.
Within C018, (In C018a) we also have a laboratory which contains analytical equipment for methods such as:
- UV-Vis Spectrometry
- FT-IR (Infra-Red Spectrometry)
- Fluorescence Spectrometry
- Gas Chromatography (GC)
- HPLC (High-Performance Liquid Chromatography)
- Microwave Plasma Atomic Emission Spectrometry (MP-AES)
- Ion Chromatography