Swansea University has been at the forefront of international research in the area of civil and computational engineering.
Internationally renowned engineers at Swansea pioneered the development of numerical techniques, such as the finite element method, and associated computational procedures that have enabled the solution of many complex engineering problems.
The Zienkiewicz Centre for Computational Engineering has excellent computing facilities, including a state-of-the-art multi-processor super computer with virtual reality facilities and high-speed networking.
Recent PhD theses supervised in the area of Civil Engineering:
- Finite Element Simulation of Damage Assessment of Concrete Bridges subject to Seismic Loading
- Numerical Modelling and Optimisation of new RHS Column-to-I Beam Connections
- Cohesive Discrete Element Modelling and Industrial Applications
- Characterisation of Porous Media using the Lattice Boltzmann Method
- Compressible computational fluid dynamics for fluid structure interaction simulation