Borrowing limits and exceptions may apply. Please check your iFind account regularly for current due dates, recalled items, updates on requests and other important account information.
Borrowing Library Resources
- Laptop lockers are available on both Singleton Park Campus and Bay Campus
- You must have your student card with you to use the lockers
- No renewals are possible on laptop loans
- Loans are for a maximum of two weeks
- Fines are applicable for late return of devices. If you leave Swansea with a device, you are responsible for returning it to us on time
Please note: Any unreturned power cables will result in a £30 fine added to your library account.
- Automatic renewals are in place on all normal loan items (4 week loans) for Swansea University staff and students. Provided that the items you have borrowed have not been recalled for use by another library user, and the loans are eligible for renewal according to our Swansea University Libraries Loans Policy, normal loans will automatically renew at the end of their current loan period.
- Please note that all items are subject to recall. Any items recalled for use by another library user must be returned by the due date stated in the notification email. If any recalled items are not returned by their due date, your account will be frozen until all recalled items have been returned. This means that none of the items you have borrowed will be eligible for renewal until all recalled items have been returned.
- Please note that automatic renewals do not apply to short loan items, 24 hour loans, theses, laptop loans, or any items borrowed by external borrowers. Other exceptions may apply.
- Fines may be applied to any items not returned by the current due date. It is the borrower’s responsibility to check their account regularly to ensure that all items are returned on time. Please note that library fines that were accrued due to Covid 19 restrictions and consequent library closures will not be charged.
Requests for library items can be made using our Request & Collect Service. If you need an item urgently and it is not available via this service, please contact Customer Services and we will try to fulfil your request with an e-book.
Please note the following important information:
- Library users cannot request or borrow a second copy of an item that they already have on loan.
- For current students and staff a maximum of 10 requests can be placed at one time.
- We cannot guarantee the date when the item will be available for you.
Update to the Recalls service effective from 5th October 2021:
Effective from 5th October 2021, library users will be able to recall items that are on loan to other borrowers. Items can be recalled by placing a request for the item, via the Request & Collect Service.
If an item you currently have on loan is recalled by another library user, you will be notified by email. The item must be returned to the library by the due date stated on the recall notification email. Please check your University email account and your iFind account regularly for recall notifications and changes to due dates.
In accordance with current guidance we must still minimise the number of people visiting the university wherever possible. Please only return library items if they are not eligible for automatic renewal, e.g. if the item has been recalled for use by another library user; or if you have no way of keeping holding them, e.g. you are leaving Swansea for good.
Designated self-return areas are located in the entrance of Singleton Park Library, Bay Library, the South Wales Miners' Library and Saint David's Park Library. Please refer to local signage and follow the instructions in place.
Items may be returned at any of the following Swansea University Libraries, regardless of which of the five libraries you borrowed them from:
- Singleton Park Library
- Bay Library
- South Wales Miners' Library
- Banwen Library
- St David's Park Library
Please note: the following items cannot be returned via the electronic self-return terminals:
- Laptops and other IT or media equipment
- Software discs
- Room Keys
- Short Loan items
- Inter Library Loans
- Multiple-disc DVDs
- Books with accompanying discs
- If you return items after the due date you may be fined. Overdue charges are applicable to ALL categories of borrower, including academic staff.
- Please regularly check your library account on iFind for due dates, recalls, and other important account information. If you are unsure of anything please contact the Customer Service Team. We are here to help!
- It is the borrower’s responsibility to ensure that all library materials are returned by the current due date and in good condition. Due dates may be shortened if an item is recalled for use by another library user.
- If you are unable to return an item by the due date please contact the Customer Service Team immediately as this may impact on other library users.
- We understand that accidents happen but if you do damage or misplace a library item it is expected that the full cost of replacement will be paid by the borrower. Instalments can be arranged.
- There are no fines charged for overdue South Wales Miners and Banwen Library Items. Lost item charges may still apply.
- Fines that were accrued due to Covid 19 restrictions will not be charged.
Normal Loan (4 week) with unfulfilled recall
- £2.00 per item per day (up to a limit of £20 per item).
- Your account will be frozen until fines are brought under £25 which will mean that other items will not automatically renew. This could result in further fines being accrued.
Short Loan Item (24 hours or less)
- £2.00 per item per day (up to a limit of £20 per item).
- These items cannot be renewed.
- £10 per item per day up to a maximum of £100.
- Lost or damaged item charges will be incurred and will include the full cost of replacement or repair.
- You will be billed for the full cost of replacing any lost items.
- Lost items will be replaced with the current or most recent edition.
- Please note that the full cost of replacement may be significantly higher than the original purchase cost.