LLM Mooting Initiatives and Success
The School of Law aims not only to deliver a first-class educational experience in commercial and maritime law but also to develop the vital transferable skills its LLM students will need for a career as a legal practitioner. Such skills include the honing of their research ability, in-depth and practical understanding of the subjects that they study on the course and amalgamation and development of credible arguments based on advanced legal principle and authority, as well as the confidence to speak in public, under pressure and to think on one's feet.
To this end, we offer a number of mooting initiatives throughout the academic year. These include:
- Enrolling on our non-credit bearing module: Commercial and Maritime Mooting. This module adopts a holistic and practical approach to teaching international and transnational dispute settlement by using the medium of mooting. In particular, the module offers advocacy training and innovative teaching in commercial and maritime arbitration and adjudication. Teaching is offered through a combination of seminars and advocacy labs.
- Mooting training by a dedicated Mooting Co-ordinator, Dr Tabetha Kurtz-Shefford.
- Training sessions delivered by barristers and other members of the teaching team especially Professors Baughen, Leloudas and Tettenborn.
- The LLM Internal Moot Competition, which gives our LLM students the chance to test their new advocacy skills. For example, in 2015-16, the final of the LLM Internal Moot Competition was held at the Supreme Court and was judged by Lord Clarke. We were again invited to the Supreme Court in 2018 and the final of our Internal Moot was judged by Lord Mance. Our students performed exceptionally on this occasion. Find out more about their day at the Supreme Court.
- Our 2019, 2021 and 2022 LLM Internal Moot Competition finals were sponsored and hosted by HFW, one of the leading global law firms in shipping and energy. HFW generously sponsored our 2023 IMLAM Competition and in the same year Kennedy’s sponsored and hosted our internal Moot Competition final.