Shipping and Trade Employability
Employability is a priortiy at the School of Law and we recognise that students need more than just academic learning to prepare them for their professional futures. To prepare out students for their future careers, we provide a number of tailored initiatives, which include:
- An optional non-credit bearing module (Employability Skills in the Commercial and Maritime Industry), which provides practical guidance in written and oral communication skills. Students will be introduced to writing job applications, taught how to recognise and make the most of experience, learning, and knowledge and how to promote themselves effectively, including methods of qualifying as a practicing lawyer.
- Specialised employability advice from our dedicated Employability Officers, who run regular training courses throughout the year. In fact, in 2019 Associate Professor George Leloudas has been awarded a Prize by the Swansea Employability Academy for his contribution to the development and enhancement of our LLM students’ employability prospects.
- A series of guest lectures delivered by visiting scholars and practitioners offering students insights into practice, industry expertise and the path to career success.
- The opportunity to get involved in mooting, which develops our students’ skills by allowing them to practically apply the subjects they learn during their course.
- Close links with legal practice and various elements of the shipping and business sectors. Several of our lecturers have either worked in international law firms or have worked closely with them. Members of the postgraduate teaching team also regularly deliver professional development training seminars and lectures for a consortium of city law firms, BIMCO, BP and IATA.
- CV & Cover Letter review sessions offered throughout the year and our Interviewing Skills Clinic
- Networking events and visits to leading enterprises within the City of London to enhance our students’ practical understanding of shipping and insurance markets.
Want to learn more about our students’ successes? Visit the 'LLM Students' Destinations' section for more information.