An applicant applying under the Academic and Research Appointments route must have accepted the offer of a position at an approved HEI or research institute, where they:
- Have responsibility for academic, research or innovation leadership and development; or
- Direct or lead an individual or team relating to:
- A research project or programme of work, or
- An innovation project or programme of work
To be eligible, one of the above must be the significant function of the role you have been offered, and the majority of entry level postdoctoral research positions are therefore excluded.
This will mean that it is highly unlikely a Grade 7 Research role could be considered for this route, as it is likely it would be rejected following application. If there are any queries regarding this, your HR Business Partnering Team will be able to advise.
Individual applicants to this route will need:
- A job offer as an academic or researcher which meets one of the above criteria,
- Have gone through an appropriate recruitment or assessment process, and
- Eligible appointment/recruitment criteria will need to be met
- Have a Statement of Guarantee Route 1 from the Human Resources Director or equivalent confirming the above
Statement of Guarantee / Recruitment Criteria
The Statement of Guarantee must confirm the following information:
- Confirmation that the job was openly advertised and open competition was held, or where it was not, an explanation as to why for example, the University’s academic promotion process is considered robust and transparent and fulfils requirements
- Confirmation that the applicant has accepted the job offer
- The job title and department in which the role will be held
- That at least 2 satisfactory references were received
- That at least 3 academic representatives from the employing institution were on the interview panel
- That at least 1 expert in the applicant’s field (who can be internal or external to the employing institution) was on the interview panel OR at least 1 relevant expert, independent of the employing institution, was consulted before the job offer was made.
Further details on applying for endorsment can be found on the Government's Academic or Researcher visa page.