Coronavirus: latest information

Academic & English Entrance Requirements

If you do not meet the English Language requirement for direct entry to your chosen pathway, you can receive the required amount of English Language tuition to prepare you for successful entry into your chosen programme at a later date.

The English Language training is conducted by Swansea University's English Language Training Services (ELTS).


As a result of the Covid-19 outbreak, Swansea University will be delivering all Pre-sessional programmes online and these are available for you to apply to if you have an English Language condition in your offer or you need to prepare for academic study. You can find full details of these courses on the English Language Training Services pages.

Why study English Language at Swansea University?

  • 98% pass rate
  • Lecture programmes tailored to your future pathway subjects with structured seminar discussions
  • Authentic reading materials linked to your future pathway subjects
  • Learn research methods and critical thinking skills
  • Continuous portfolio assessment
  • Become familiar with Swansea as your study destination
  • Build your confidence and feel equipped to enter university
  • Accredited by British Council and BALEAP

English Language Test Exemptions

Please note that where you have obtained the required score, The College will exempt the need for IELTS from students who have taken local examinations in English such as WAEC, KSCE, ICSE, HKDSE, A-level, IB, SPM and STPM (including forecast results) etc. and will exempt students who can demonstrate where they have been taught through the medium of English. Please check your country by clicking Admission Requirements by Country.

Advantages of ‘IELTS for UKVI’ Test

If you have not yet taken an IELTS test, we recommend that you choose an ‘IELTS for UKVI’ test instead of a standard IELTS Academic test.  This will allow you to be issued a ‘CAS for a Tier 4’ visa instead of a ‘Short Term Study Visa Letter for a Short Term Study Visa’.  If you are issued a ‘CAS for Tier 4’ visa for your English Language Course, there may be less paperwork, less travel cost and less travel time for you.

The comparison of the processes shown below applies in most cases, however if you have previously studied in the UK and/or have a complicated immigration history the process may vary depending on your individual circumstances.