Our home at the Bay Campus
Swansea University is a dual campus university, with the School of Sport and Exercise Sciences home being at the Bay Campus. Sport and Exercise Science has high-quality facilities in the brand new Engineering Quarter.
The main sports facilities for all Swansea University students and staff are those at the Sketty Lane site, adjacent to the Singleton Park Campus.
The University’s Sketty Lane Sports Village houses numerous sports facilities, including 50m and 25m swimming pools, playing fields, indoor and outdoor athletics facilities, multi-purpose Uni-gym, fitness studios, squash and tennis courts.
Exercise Physiology Laboratory
The Exercise Physiology Laboratory is used for measurement in applied physiology. It provides a high quality experience-based learning environment for physiology related modules.
The Research Laboratory has the following facilities:
- Range of exercise ergometers (e.g., treadmills, cycles, rowing, armcranks, isokinetic)
- Range of body composition analysis techniques, including the BodPod, bioelectrical impedance analysis, near infra-red analysis and hydrostatic weighing
- Range of anthropometrical measurement techniques
- Ambulatory and laboratory-based expired gas analysis, electrocardiographic and haemodynamic analysis
- Lung function assessment and analysis
- Muscle function testing using multi-joint isokinetic dynamometry, force platforms and Ballistic Measurement System
- Range of blood analysis equipment for the determination of metabolites, specific proteins and hormones
Home to a state of the art motion analysis system.
Using the laboratory facilities, full kinematic analysis of various complex movements can be performed.
Current research includes:
- Biomechanical analysis of the competitive swimming start
- Knee kinematics associated with ACL injury
- Monitoring of fatigue and injury by magnetic stimulation and EMG response measurement
- Post operative weight bearing instructions in orthopaedic patients
World-class sports facilities
Swansea University hosts a £20m sports village at the Sketty Lane site, adjacent to the Singleton Park Campus, that houses the following:
- Sports Centre – 80 station modern gym, sports hall, climbing wall, squash courts
- Indoor Athletics Centre – 6 lane 60m running track, jump pit, high jump, pole vault, throwing cage and javelin net
- Wales National Pool – 50m and 25m pools
- Outdoor Facilities – rugby and football pitches, all-weather tennis courts, water based astroturf pitches, 8 lane running track
- Active Athletic Union – more than 40 Sports Teams who compete across the UK
Find out more on the University's sports village website.