Athena SWAN at SoM
The School of Management is committed to ensuring gender equality in the workplace and is currently working towards submitting for an Athena SWAN Bronze award.
The Equality Challenge Unit established the Athena SWAN Charter in 2005 to encourage and recognise commitment to advancing the careers of women in STEMM employment in higher education and research.
In May 2015 the charter was expanded to recognise work undertaken in arts, humanities, social sciences, business and law (AHSSBL), and in professional and support roles, and for trans staff and students. The charter now recognises work undertaken to address gender equality more broadly, and not just barriers to progression that affect women.
Click here to find out more about the Athena SWAN Charter in Swansea University.
International Women's Day 2017
For International Women's Day 2017, the School celebrated this by asking staff to submit pledges along the theme #BeBoldForChange. Below are the pledges that were collected and posted onto the large screens in the School's Atrium as well as on our social media channels.
For more information about International Women's Day, visit the official website: https://internationalwomensday.com/
Important dates to be aware of
There are many events and dates throughout the year that relate to the University's Athena SWAN activities, the list below details some of them that are recognised (please be aware this is not an exhaustive list!)
- Athena SWAN submission dates: 30th April, 30th November each year
- International Women’s Day: 8th March (for more information, please visit the International Womens Day website)
- Inspiring Women series: every March (to see the entries from this year, please click here)
- Ada Lovelace Day: 2nd Tuesday of every October
- Mary Williams Award: nominations open spring each year (between March and May), for more information about this please visit here)
- LGBT History Month: every February
- Black History Month: every October
- International Day of Persons with Disabilities: 3rd December
- Trans Day of Visibility: 31st March
- International Men's Day: November 19th