Do I need a visa?

For EU/EEASwiss nationals immigration became mandatory from 31st December 2020. Please check our EU/EEA/Swiss staff pages to find out the latest information and to see if you may be eligible to make a (free) EUSS application (if you do not already hold EUSS Pre-settled or Settled status).

Non EU/EEA nationals are required to apply for immigration permission (visa) to study, work or undertake research in the UK. Some nationals must always apply overseas before coming to the UK, known as visa-nationals. Some nationals can apply at a UK Border (airport), known as non-visa nationals.

Whether you need to apply to apply overseas (visa-national) or you can apply at the UK border (non-visa national) depends on your nationality, what you are doing in the UK and how long you want to stay. You can check your own status on the Check if I need a visa? section of the UKVI website. 

Visa nationalsNon-visa nationals
  • Must always apply for a visa before coming to the UK, regardless of the purpose or length of visit
  • Apply at the earliest 3 months before travel
  • UKVI List of visa nationals
  • May request permission to be granted at a UK border if coming (as a Standard Visitor) for less than 6 months. Must still be able to show eligibility for permission to enter at the border (e.g. funds, purpose of visit, intention to leave)
  • If you are an Academic and coming as a Standard Visitor for longer than 6-12 months, you must apply for a visa overseas before travelling to the UK and you will need to evidence your level of education and expertise.
  • Students coming in under Student Route must always apply for this visa before travelling, it cannot be granted at a UK border

What visa do I need?

Please read the Quick Guide to UK visas for Visitors to help you work out which is the appropriate immigration route (visa) for your required visit to the UK: 

Further detailed information on each visa route can be found below:

If the activity or reason for the visit is not covered within the above options, please download and complete the attached Visitor questionnaire. Forward your completed questionnaire to International@CampusLife for further advice.

Visitors for Open Days or conference

International Visitors coming for a one-off event such as the University Open Day or short conference should apply for a Standard Visitor visa. The University does not provide supporting letters or documents for such events. Open Day visitors can print out the booking from Eventbrite to include with their visa application to demonstrate purpose of visiting the UK.