Personal care is support that you need to complete day-to-day activities and tasks as a result of your disability. Day-to-day activities may include:

  • Cooking
  • Cleaning
  • Washing and personal hygiene
  • Socialising
  • Shopping

Personal care support is not provided by the university and as such, students need to make private arrangements for this level of support. 

Wherever you chose to study and if you are a UK student, personal care support should be provided from your home Social Services department. This is the local authority where you are ‘ordinarily resident’ or where you feel that you have the strongest ties. You can search for your local Social Services department on the Government website. It can take a long time to arrange personal care support (potentially up to a year) so we recommend that you contact your Social Services department as early as possible.

Unfortunately there is no UK government funding available for non-UK students to assist with personal care support. Personal care support can be expensive in the UK so you are advised to ensure that that you have sufficient funding in place before arriving at Swansea University.

If you are a student who requires personal care support please contact the Wellbeing and Disability Service as soon as possible to discuss your needs, how to fund this type of support and what options are available to you. Please bear in mind, that arranging this type of support can be a long process and could take up to a year of planning to ensure support needs are met.