Welcome to our centre!
There are three options for booking an assessment:
You are welcome to book an appointment with us wherever you study or plan to study.
We will offer you an appointment at the first possible opportunity*.
Our office hours are 09:00-16:30 Monday to Friday.
Assessment starting times are usually between 09:30 and 15:00.
We will endeavour to accomodate requests for assessments at other times.
*Our quality assurance framework requires that we offer you an appoint within 15 working days. However, we are usually able to arrange to meet within 5.
We can offer an assessment to any student who has successfully applied for DSA via their funding body (e.g. Student Finance Wales, England or NHS Wales).
We will need a copy of the following documents in advance of your assessment:
- Your funding body approval letter.
- The medical evidence / diagnostic report that you used in your application.
If you are having trouble locating your documentation (or any other queries about this area), please contact us, and we will advise you what you need to do.
We are located on the ground floor of the Grove Extension building at Swansea University's Singleton Park Campus, next door to the Transcription Centre. This is building number 13 on the campus map.
- Here is a link to our location on Google Maps.
- Information on transport options to our campus are available here.
- You can also copy and paste 51 36.3483' N, 3 58.5352' W into Google Earth.
- For GPS users, the reference for our front door is lat 51°36'34.83"N, long 3°58'53.52"W
Our full address is:
Swansea University DSA Assessment Centre,
During your needs assessment, you will have the opportunty to discuss the impact on study of the condition(s) approved by you funding body with an experienced assessor.
- find out about your previous educational experience and attainment.
- review any medical or diagnostic evidence provided.
- discuss any additional support or adjustments previously undertaken.
- investigate any difficulties transitioning between study levels.
- discuss study difficulties that are present now, or likely to be present during university study.
- agree a package of support based on the information gathered, and the DSA guidance regulations of your funding body.
There are no tests during the assessment- it is your time to talk to a specialist about your educational experience and needs.
We aim to put you at ease during the assessment as much as possible. However, if necessary, you can arrange to bring a friend, parent, support assistant or CPN to the session. You do not need to tell us about this in advance, though we may ask the person for details of who they are before the session starts.
Our recently refitted assessment centre has been designed to be a relaxing environment where you can discuss your needs at ease.
- Air Conditioning.
- A selection of comfortable chairs and ergonomic office seating.
- Adjustable brightness LED main lighting.
- Flexible desk lighting to fine tune the environment.
- Accessible toilet facilities within the facility.
We are the only fully equipped, main DSA assessment centre in the Swansea, Neath Port Talbot, Bridgend, RCT and Vale of Glamorgan area.
Since opening in 2004, we have built up a formidable, practical knowledge of solutions to assist disabled students study across a broad range of subjects. Our aim is that you can use your DSA support to study with the greatest possible confidence, whilst being well prepared for any challenges that may occur as you progress through your course.
Our aim is to ensure that your experiences are placed at the heart of the assessment process.