You have the right to write and submit your coursework and to
sit your exams in Welsh, even if you have chosen to follow an
English-medium module. You can also choose to be interviewed
through the medium of Welsh when applying for a place.
There are opportunities for Welsh speakers to study this
subject through the medium of Welsh and our dedicated academy,
Academi Hywel Teifi, is
here to support you throughout your time at Swansea University.
We offer you:
- An interview through the medium of Welsh when applying for a place.
- The option to receive your personal correspondence in Welsh, English or bilingually - we will then communicate with you in your language of choice.
- Access to generous Welsh-language study scholarships or bursaries.
- Access to modules taught wholly or partly in Welsh.
- The option to write and submit your coursework or exams through the medium of Welsh (even if you have chosen to study in English), and your work will be marked in Welsh.
- A Welsh-speaking academic tutor.
- One-to-one support to improve your academic Welsh language skills.
- An opportunity to gain an additional free qualification that serves as evidence of your Welsh language ability for future employers.
To see further details about the level of provision
delivered in Welsh on this particular degree scheme, please see
the Welsh-language course page for further information.
Since 2011, there has been a 40% increase in the number of
students studying through the medium of Welsh at Swansea
University and our *TEF data over the last two years shows that
Welsh-medium students are high achievers in regards to
employability (*Swansea University TEF return 2017 and
Opportunities to learn Welsh
If you would like to learn Welsh, you can join our
If you’d like the opportunity to experience Welsh-language
culture, contact Y Gymdeithas Gymraeg at the
Academi Hywel Teifi.