Julian Halcox is the Professor of Clinical Cardiology in Swansea University Medical School. He trained in Medicine at Queens College Cambridge and Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School in London (now Imperial College). His specialist clinical training was in London teaching hospitals including St Bartholomew’s, The London Chest and The Heart Hospital. During his specialist training, he spent three years as a Fogarty International Research Fellow and Visiting Scientist in The Cardiology Branch of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda USA, where he studied human coronary and peripheral vascular physiology using a range of invasive and non-invasive methods.
After returning to the UK and completing his specialist training he worked as a British Heart Foundation Senior Lecturer at University College London, based in the Institute of Child Health, with honorary NHS clinical consultant cardiologist posts at Great Ormond Street Hospital, University College Hospital and The Heart Hospital.
In 2007 he was appointed to the Chair in Clinical Cardiology in Cardiff University Medical School, where he also worked as an honorary consultant Cardiologist at the Universty Hopsital of Wales.
In 2013 he moved from Cardiff to Swansea University Medical School, taking up his current post of Chair in Cardiology and Honorary Consultant Cardiologist in Swansea Bay University Health Board.
His Professional Roles also include
- Scientific Director and Committee Member Heart Research Wales
- Member of Expert Reference Group for Public Health Wales CVD Prevention Program
- Member of the Heart Disease Delivery Plan for Wales Implementation Committee
- Member of Welsh Cardiovascular Society Executive Committee (Academic Representative)
- Member of Patient and Population Health and Informatics Theme Committee, Swansea University.
- Member of AF-SCREEN international collaboration
- Royal Society of Medicine Council Member Lipids, Metabolism and Vascular Risk
- Editorial Board Member for the Cochrane Heart Group
Outside of work he is a keen Open Water Swimmer and Cyclist, but not such a keen runner.