Article Processing Charges - Gold Open Access Support
Help with Article Processing Charges for RCUK Funded Research
The Library has funding from an RCUK* block grant to pay article processing charges. This grant will enable authors to comply with their funder's open access policy. Annual grant awards are made to the University and we provide financial support to researchers on a first come, first served basis. More information about the RCUK open access policy and the current version of the FAQ section (1st September 2017) can be found on their website.
*RCUK includes AHRC, BBSRC, EPSRC, ESRC, MRC, NERC, NC3Rs and STFC.
To qualify for funding from the RCUK open access fund:
- Your research must be funded by RCUK and your eligible paper must be a peer reviewed journal article or conference proceeding.
- You must use a gold open access route. This means that the paper is available for immediate unrestricted online access at no cost to the end user.
- The journal should use a creative commons CC-BY licence, which allows downloading and the use of text and data mining tools. It should also allow immediate deposit in other repositories. This can be checked using Sherpa FACT or by checking the journal's OA web page. Ensure that you are able to select a CC-BY licence.
- Please comply with all of the funder's requirements, for example, EPSRC now require a 'Data Access Statement' in all publications. You must acknowledge the RCUK grant in your article and include the grant number. Examples of funder acknowledgement and data access statements are available from our Open Access FAQs.
- Where we are able to reduce the cost of publishing Gold OA in subscription (hybrid) journals via offsetting deals or membership schemes, the information is available in the 'Publisher Discount' section below.
- The corresponding author or grant holder must be a current member of Swansea University. Please note that a request for APC payment does not guarantee that funding will be available.
- Apply for funding when your article is accepted for publication and provide documentation to support the application (acceptance email). We would also encourage you to upload the Author Accepted Manuscript (AAM) when submitting a request.
Please complete this online application form to apply for APC financial support.
- Please note that we do not accept applications for retrospective conversion to gold open access for articles that are already published (HEFCE OA FAQ see 10.1-10.3).
- If we approve your request, we will contact you to initiate the administrative process with the publisher for payment of the APC.
- You are required to upload the publisher's pdf version of record to the Research Information System (RIS) and CRONFA as soon as possible after publication.
Open Access Costs for Unfunded Research
For requests that do not qualify for support from the RCUK grant approach your College to enquire if funding is available for Gold APC support. The university does not maintain a centrally administered APC fund. In many cases you can comply with HEFCE’s and other funders’ Open Access requirements without paying a fee, by uploading your Author Accepted Manuscript in RIS.
Please visit the Swansea University Open Access Policy for information.
- For 2017/18 this institution is expected to make a minimum of 75% gold or green papers available via open access.