Swansea University’s Graduate Support Programme has been shortlisted for HE careers and employability team of the year in the targetjobs National Graduate Recruitment Awards 2023.
The award celebrates the achievements of higher education institutions or teams that have made a significant impact, ensuring their students and graduates are best equipped to achieve their potential when searching and applying for graduate roles.
The Graduate Support Programme, funded through Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW), helps recent graduates with barriers to employment to navigate the difficult job market.
The programme allows graduates to access support through a variety of resources, including:
- The Graduate Career Development Course. An online self-paced programme that allows individuals to develop their work-readiness skills, boost their confidence and build resilience in an environment free from pressure and judgement.
- One-to-one career advice from a dedicated and knowledgeable team.
- Access to a live training programme of technical and transferable skills courses.
- The opportunity to apply for a bursary of up to £200 to support employability-related activity and up to £500 for continuous professional development.
- Access to graduate-focused careers fairs and bespoke employability events.
- The chance to complete an internship, fully funded above the Living Wage for up to 3 months, within organisations in Wales.
Part of the Swansea University Employability Academy (SEA), the Graduate Support Programme has supported 460 graduates since its introduction in 2020.
It has also proven to be hugely beneficial for the local business community, supporting over 30 Welsh Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), local businesses and the wider academic community in Swansea since, with graduates contributing to research projects across the University’s faculties.
On reaching the shortlist, Lucy Griffiths, Head of Swansea University Employability Academy (SEA), said: “The targetjobs national graduate recruitment awards are highly respected within our sector, and it’s a privilege to be nominated.
“Swansea’s Graduate Support Programme originated as a response to Covid-19 and the new territory within which our graduates found themselves, where significantly fewer employment opportunities were available to them.
“The Graduate Support Programme soon became an integral offering at Swansea, providing essential advice and guidance, raising graduate aspirations, developing key skills and networks, and ultimately seeing our graduates enter their desired graduate roles and industries.
“It’s very heartening to see Graduate Support Programme staff acknowledged for their hard work and creativity.”
The award will be judged independently by graduate employers and industry experts.
Winners will be announced on Thursday 23 March 2023, in a ceremony held at the JW Marriott Grosvenor House, London.