At Swansea University we buy a wide range of goods and services ranging from stationary and research equipment to travel services and IT.
Our Purchasing Decisions Can Have Important Implications
Here at Swansea we are conscious that there can be positive and negative: economic, social and environmental impacts from everything we buy and the services we use throughout their lifecycles, for example:
- Raw material and manufacturing impacts of furniture or IT, such as deforestation or human rights infringements
- Carbon emissions from transportation and delivery of goods or use of travel services
- Wastes and emissions, during and at the end of products use
- Community benefits such as community engagement and investment from responsible construction projects
We are committed to positive purchasing. This means:
- Removing or minimising the negative impacts and maximising the benefits, when we make the choice of whether to and what to buy, or what services to use
- Working with our suppliers and service providers to reduce impacts and raise standards in a responsible manner
Our Sustainability and Procurement teams are integrating positive procurement into our purchasing policy and arrangements according to ISO20400 Sustainable Procurement Standard.