Article Processing Charges - Gold Open Access Support
Help with Article Processing Charges for RCUK Funded Research
ISS has generous funds available from an RCUK grant to pay article processing charges to support their policy of encouraging open access publishing. Please note that if your research project grant includes funding for publication costs, the project will not be eligible for this APC fund.
RCUK includes AHRC, BBSRC, EPSRC, ESRC, MRC, NERC and STFC.
To qualify for funding from the RCUK open access fund:
- Your research must be funded by RCUK and acknowledge this fact in your article. Please remember to comply with all of the funder's requirements, for example, EPSRC now require a 'Data Access Statement' in all publications. More information about the RCUK open access policy and the FAQ section can be found on their website.
- Your publication must be a peer reviewed journal article or conference proceeding submitted for publication since 1st April 2013. Books and other publications are not covered by this RCUK fund.
- You must be using a gold open access route. This means that the peer reviewed article is available for immediate unrestricted online access at no cost to the end user.
- Ensure that a CC-BY licence is available. The journal should use a creative commons cc by licence (the standard for open access journals) which allows downloading and the use of text and data mining tools. It should also allow immediate deposit in other repositories. This can be checked using Sherpa FACT or by checking the journal's OA web-page.
Please complete this online application form.
The corresponding author or grant holder must be a current member of Swansea University and applications will be dealt with in order of receipt. Please note that a request for APC payment does not guarantee that funding will be available.
- Apply for funding when your article has been accepted for publication and provide documentation to support the application (upload a copy of the acceptance email). Please note that we no longer accept any applications for retrospective conversion to gold open access for articles that are already published (HEFCE OA FAQ 9.2).
- You must supply the project name, funder and a project reference number.
- We will require an invoice if we accept your request to process the payment.
- You will be required to upload the publisher's pdf to CRONFA as soon as possible after publication.
You are encouraged to benefit from the discount agreements we have made with various publishers:
Wiley Open Access Account - discounted pre-payment scheme for RCUK funded papers (institutional members)
Springer OA agreement for UK authors (institutional members)
IEEE Open Access content published via Content Online - 25% discount on every IEEE APC during 2016
Contact us via email@example.com
Library Research Support
Information Services & Systems (ISS)