The Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

ATAS was introduced by the UK Government's Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) in November 2007. The scheme is aimed primarily at specific postgraduate research areas, but also includes a number of taught Master's and undergraduate courses that lead onto either MPhys or MEng.

ATAS is compulsory for international applicants and for current and returning students, in specific areas of study. UK, EU, EEA and Swiss nationals do not need an ATAS certificate.

The ATAS application is made online, before applying for your visa, and it is free of charge. It is your responsibility to check if this scheme applies to you. You will need to obtain an ATAS certificate if you are applying for a MEng or MPhys undergraduate courses in the following subject areas: 

  • Materials Science  
  • Physics (including Nuclear Physics)
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Aerospace Engineering
  • Chemical, Process and Energy Engineering
  • Materials Technology not otherwise specified

How to Apply 

If you require an ATAS certificate you will need to apply for it before applying for your visa or extension of stay. The possession of an ATAS certificate does not guarantee you a visa or extension of stay. However, applications will automatically be refused if you need an ATAS certificate and cannot provide one.

The application form and details of applying for ATAS can be found on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.

If you need an ATAS certificate we will automatically enclose with your offer letter a form containing the information that you require in order to apply.

More Information

Information and assistance is also available from the UK Border Agency, the British Council, and UK embassies overseas.