: 7976 sq. kms.
District Headquarter : Daltonganj
History : Palamau was constitued in 1928. In 1871 Japla and Belaunja were transferred from Gaya to
Palamau. In 1891 Tori was added. The district headquarter of Daltonganj has taken the name from Col. Dalton who was the commissioner of Chotanagpur in 1861. The towns in the district, besides the headquarter of
Daltonganj, are : Barwadih, Chandwa, Deorikalan, Hussainabad, Latehar and
Netarhat. The Blocks in the district are : Balumath, Bariharganj,
Barwadih, Bishrampur, Chandwa, Chattarpur, Daltonganj, Garu, Hussainabad,
Latehar, Lesliganj, Mahuadanr, Manatu, Manika, Panki and Patan.
Total population : 1515986
: Well connected by road and railways. The nearest airport is Ranchi.
Agriculture : Rice is the main crop. Maize, wheat and oil seeds are also grown.
Total literates : 586961
Males : 441140
Females : 145821
Assembly Constituencies : Bhawnathpur, Bishrampur, Chhatarpur (SC), Daltonganj, Garhwa, Hussainabad.
Places of Tourist interest : Amjharia, Betla Forest, Daltonganj, Dundu, Garu, Gulgulpat, Kanti Falls, Kechki, Kulka, Loda Falls, Netarhat, Palamau Fort, Tatha.