Sustainability At Swansea University
Sustainable practices are increasingly being mainstreamed within the Higher Education sector. Swansea has extensive experience in managing cutting-edge research into sustainability and is leading the way with a number of innovations that have been introduced on campus.
Our Sustainability Policy (6 April 2017) is adopted by SMT and signed by the Vice-Chancellor Professor Richard B. Davies. We also have a detailed Sustainability Strategy 2016 - 2020 . As part of our ISO14001 certification, the policy and strategy are reviewed annually and are included in the annual Environmental Management Review with the SHE (Safety, Health and Environment) Committee chaired by the University Registrar (and Chief Operating Officer) Raymond Ciborowski, who, as part of SMT, oversees development and implementation of the Policy and Strategy. The SHE Committee enables a wide range of stakeholder input into the sustainability work programme, and includes representation from the three University Trade Unions and the Students Union. Objectives & Targets 2017 are updated annually as part of this process.
A dedicated Sustainability Team was established in 2011, and the University provides annual budgets to support areas including Sustainability Projects, Sustainable Transport and Travel, SSSI Management, Waste Management and Recycling, and Invest to Save Projects. This budget increases annually.
Actions and initiatives on campus are diverse, and include:
- Sustainable practices incorporated into new buildings (e.g. geothermal exchange in the Institute of Life Science and BREEAM Outstanding Energy Safety Research Institute (ESRI))
- Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship (ESDGC) and the RCE Wales - a Regional Centre of Expertise on ESDGC
- Ethical Procurement at Swansea University
- Carbon Management Plan - Swansea University's approach to carbon reduction
- Sustainable Transport and Travel
- The University's Sustainable Catering Policy
- Used vegetable oil from campus turned into BioDiesel locally
- SWell - our Sustainability and WELLbeing Staff Engagement Programme
- The Student SWell - our Engagement and Employability Programme for students
- Brighter Futures Funding - Funding for student sustainability projects
- Making a home for wildlife - Biodiversity Action Plan 2016
- Getting Involved - Sustainability Communication and Engagement Plan