Fire awareness film

Did you know that a student bedroom can be destroyed in only three minutes just as a result of human error?

This film raises awareness of fire safety practices to students, using real footage of a fire in student accommodation.

The idea for the DVD was proposed by Swansea University and created by the All Wales Fire and Rescue Service Education group. Launching the DVD, Local Government and Communities Minister Carl Sargeant said “I commend the Fire and Rescue Service and Swansea University for working together to produce this DVD. It clearly demonstrates how the simplest of human errors can result in devastating consequences. It will be an important tool in educating our young people about the dangers that can not only destroy property and their university work, but more importantly can lead to injuries and even loss of life.”

Raymond Ciborowski, Registrar and Head of Administration at Swansea University said: “Following concerns, Swansea University Health and Safety and Accommodation Officers consulted with other UK higher education establishments and there was general agreement of the need to raise fire safety awareness amongst students. The proposal was discussed with Business Fire Safety Officers who brought it to the attention of the Fire and Rescue Services community safety departments in Wales. I am delighted with the powerful message from the DVD and we will ensure all our students see it as part of their Health and Safety training”.