I hold a Chair in Applied Statistics in the Farr Institute @ CIPHER in the Medical School at Swansea University. I have been either the PI or a co-I on many research and research-related grants totalling almost £8M. These include the following projects that have been awarded since my arrival in Swansea in July 2014:
- Alcohol Misuse: Electronic Longitudinal Alcohol Study in Communities (ELAStiC), PI: Simon Moore, Cardiff;
- NISCHR Centre for Population Health and Wellbeing Research (NCPHWR), PI: Ronan Lyons, Swansea,
- Mind the Gap! An examination of the interface between primary and secondary healthcare for eating disorders, PI: Jacinta Tan, Swansea.
I have a long and distinguished track record of:
- developing statistical models, including:
- continuation ratio models and cumulative logit / proportional odds models for ordinal categorical data;
- random effects models or mixed models for event history / longitudinal / multi-level data;
- multivariate generalized linear mixed models (MGLMMs) with correlated random effects for multivariate extensions of the above data types;
- implementing these models in software such as SABRE and MGLMM;
- applying these models through interdisciplinary collaborative research in many areas, most notably in medicine and health research, but also in disciplines such as educational research, psychology and sociology;
- disseminating these methodological developments and the results of data analyses at international conferences and through the publication of:
- 10 books and Sage Series volumes of key readings in social statistics and the statistical analysis of continuous data, including a best-selling Chapman & Hall book on MGLMMs which was based on the SABRE software; I have been awarded a contract to write the second edition which will be based on its successor, MGLMM;
- many refereed articles in a wide range of international applied journals.