Dr Zhou’s research sits within the College “Patient & Population Health and Informatics (PPHI)"Theme. His scholarly interests focus on health and biomedical informatics: data-driven health-related studies using computing techniques, such as medical statistics, machine learning (ML)/deep learning(DL), natural language processing (NLP), computational intelligence (artificial neural networks, fuzzy logic, nature-inspired computing etc), predictive analytics and data mining. He is particularly interested in ML (DL) and AI for electronic health records and –omics data, and creation of innovative methods to extract personally useful information, such as rules and patterns, concerning lifestyles and health conditions from routine health related data to promote healthier lifestyles and prevent disease.
- Dr Zhou is the Fellow of The Higher Education Academy.
- Dr Zhou was recipient of IFIP-WG8.9 “Outstanding Academic Service Award".
- Dr Zhou was the recipient of “Outstanding Reviewer Award" from Fuzzy Sets and Systems; IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics; Journal of Biomedical Informatics; Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport; Applied Soft Computing, Knowledge Based Systems, Expert Systems with Applications.
Prospective PhD students
Dr Zhou is very interested to supervise strong potential PhD students in the following areas.
1) Interpretable ML/DL in healthcare
2) ML and NLP in pharmacovigilance: detecting adverse drug events, drug-drug interactions etc
3) Data driven approach to identification of patterns of multimorbidity and polypharmacy
4) ML and NLP for early prediction of chronic conditions
5) Disease phenotyping from routine electronic healthcare records
6) Identifying determinants of health outcomes from routine electronic healthcare records
7) Identification of complex interactions of risk factors in epidemiological data
8) Integrative –omics and electronic health records for precise disease understanding.
9) Biomedical signal/image processing and applications: Physical activity analysis; EEG signals processing; Intelligent digital radiology.
You are welcome to explore any topics of AI/ML/NLP in health data analytics with Dr Zhou.
The EPSRC funded PhD studentships are available within the UKRI Centre for Doctoral Training in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning & Advanced Computing. If you are interested in AI/ML/NLP for health data analytics, please contact Dr Zhou.