No records found
Funder: Health Care Research Wales, with Andrea Tales, Martin Hyde, Amy Murray, Emma Richards, Maria Cheshire Allen, Rhian Williams, £2,850,462
Funder: WEFO, with Andrea Tales, Martin Hyde, Mark Allen, £3,828,217
Active Building Centre - social aspects of moving into Smart Homes for an ageing population. 2019 - 2022
Funder: UK Research and Innovation Industrial Strategy Fund, 2019-22, with Carol Maddock, Deborah Morgan, £460,470
Cyfeillion Cerdded Cymru 2019 - 2022
Funder: Healthy & Active Fund (HAF), in collaboration with Living Streets Cymru, £204,000
Funder: Welsh School of Social Care, with Angharad Higgins, Deborah Morgan, £60,000
Environmental factors in mental health and wellbeing of older people in care homes and intergenerational care 2016 - 2020
Funder: Health Care Management Trust, with Sarah Hillcoat-Nallétamby, Carole Butler, Caitlin Reid, £120,000
Associate Professor in Gerontology, College of Human and Health Sciences, Swansea University
March 2013 - Present
Senior Lecturer in Transport Psychology, Centre for Transport and Society, Faculty of the Built Environment, University of the West of England.
April 2006 - March 2013
Researcher, Institute of Health and Community Studies, Bournemouth University
March 2003 - April 2006
Researcher, Warsash Maritime Centre, Southampton Institute, Southampton
August 1988 - March 2003
- September 2019: Gerontology and transport. Does age travel well? Invited key note at the Carmarthenshire 50+ forum, National Botanical Gardens for Wales, Carmarthen. September 12th.
- September 2019: Does age travel well? Invited presentation to 3 talks, Red Café, Mumbles, Swansea. September 11th.
- July 2019: Age friendly transport. Live Well, Age Well Transport and Getting Around Forum, Swansea Council, Morriston Tabernacle, July 18th
- May 2019: Transporting into the future. Pint of Science Public engagement event, Three Lamps, Swansea, May 20th
- February 2019: Age friendly transport solutions: A case study in Greater Manchester. Ageing Differently, Age Friendly Greater Manchester annual conference, February 13th
- October 2018: Prioritising older people’s transport and travel issues. CADR Conference, City Hall, Cardiff, October 18th
- July 2018: Towards a dementia friendly transport system. Ageing Well in Wales. Dementia Supportive Community event, Red House, Merthyr, 9th July.
- June 2018: Towards an age friendly transport system, Ambition for Ageing seminar, St Thomas Centre, Ardwick Green North, Manchester, 20th June.
- March 2018: Workshop: Transport and mobility in later life CYNHADLEDD DEMENTIA CONFERENCE 2018, Venue Cymru, Llandudno.
- November 2017: Environments of Ageing presentation at ESRC Festival of science, Waterfront Museum, Swansea.
- November 2017: Discussant at Public Toilets and Social Justice, community event Maindee Library, Newport, Wales.
- September 2017: Ageing and society stall at the Swansea University Science Festival, Waterfront Museum, Swansea. (c.9000 member of the public visited).
- September 2016. The Drive for Life British Science Festival. Swansea University.
- September 2012. The seductiveness of the car. Talk at the Climate Cafe, Art House Cafe, Southampton.
- November 2009: Invited to present at The Older People’s Forum - Health Sub Group - part of the Welsh Assembly Government’s Strategy for Older People, Barry Island.
- February 2009. Invited and took part in EPSRC public engagement event with older people, Swindon.
- September 2008. Older men and their cars. BA Festival of Science, Liverpool, UK.
- March 2008 – March 2010 – part of the ESRC Older People and Learning Seminar Series group, Lifelong learning initiative, Leicester University.
- April 2008. I can Handle The Beast at Speed. Seminar given to the Transport Operations Research Group, Newcastle University as part of their seminar series.
- March 2002-May2006. Part of Swanage Transport Action Group. A community transport project run by myself and colleagues at Bournemouth University that developed the STAGbus which ran locally in Swanage and Wareham before being subsumed into Wareham Transport Action Group.
- 2016-ongoing. Regular appearances on Roberto Perrone’s Drivetime programme on BBC3Counties Radio discussing older people’s issues.
- 2020 – July – quoted in Coronavirus in Welsh care homes - the disaster that didn’t have to happen, Wales Online.
- 2020 – January – BBC Radio Sussex discussion on significant birthdays and ageing with Neil Pringle &Richard Farragher.
- 2019 – August – LBC Radio with Matthew Stadlen on more stringent testing of older driver’s eyesight.
- 2019- March – BBC3CR discussing ageing well in response to Centre for Ageing Better’s State of Ageing report on the breakfast programme.
- 2019 – March – BBC Radio 4 documentary with Julia Langdon, Am I too old to drive?
- 2019 – Research covered in Prince Phillip giving up driving story in The I weekend
- 2019 – February –ALL FM Community radio discussion on older drivers, (also translated in Chinese by Sheung Lok Radio).
- 2019 – February – LBC radio with Maajid Nawaz on older drivers and road safety, testing and alternatives to driving.
- 2019 - January – response to Prince Phillip’s crash. Spoke on daybreak Sky TV News, LBC radio, BBC Radio Newcastle, BBC Radio Wales. Story was covered on The I Weekend, BBC Online, The Express, The Sentinel, Yahoo News, Business Insider Online (Netherlands), BBC Radio London, BBC Radio Oxford (x2), Kingdom FM, GTFM 107.9FM, Clyde One FM Glasgow, Forth One FM & Forth 2 AM Edinburgh, Splash FM, Academy FM, BBC Guernsey, CFM Radio Carlisle, Rock FM Preston, The Breeze FM (Devon).
- 2018 – November – LBC radio, discussing safety of professional drivers in later life, and on BBC Radio Coventry & Warwickshire.
- 2018 – November – BBC Radio Newcastle morning debate on older driver safety.
- 2018 – March – UK Talk Radio, discussing older driver safety. The Times covers my research into older drivers and road safety.
- 2018 – March – BBC TV’s Holding Back the Years with Fiona Phillips on ageing and driving.
- 2018 – January - BBC Radio Wales discussing older people’s technology needs as part of BBC Wales’ Care Week discussions
- 2017 – July – BBC breakfast and BBC Look North live and other regional TV news programmes, along with 19 BBC radio programmes talking about safety of older drivers. Story appeared in 29 newspapers including Times, Mail, Telegraph, BBC Online.
- 2017 - November LBC radio, discussing older drivers; research reported in Daily Mail
- 2016 – Appeared on 58 radio programmes internationally discussing older driver’s road safety. Interviewed and appeared on ABC Australia radio station. Mentions of my research published across 44 papers internationally including front page article in Financial Times
- 2014 – BBC Radio 4’s You and Yours discussing older drivers giving up driving. BBC Radio Newcastle discussing older drivers and road safety.
- 2012 – BBC Radio Wiltshire and BBC Radio Somerset discussing older drivers and road safety
- 2009 – BBC Wales Week In Week Out TV documentary on “older people and driving”; BBC Radio Wales phone-in discussing older drivers and licensing.
- 2008 – Sveriges Radion, Sweden discussing older drivers and technology.
- 2007 - BBC Radio Cornwall discussing older drivers' needs.
Older people’s transport and mobility during Covid19.
Invited online presentation, British Society of Gerontology Special Interest Group on Transport and Mobility, Online.
Innovation in older people's driving safety
Invited online presentation, Older Mobility, Innovation, autonomy and activity, Ageing and Safe Mobility: 21st Century Streets'
Healthy ageing and active buildings
Invited presentation to Futurebuild 2020, Excel, London
Older road users' safety
Invited presentation to Rhiannon Jade Smith Memorial Trust Conference, Newport, UK.
Collaborating for success in grant applications. Working with the Third Sector
Invited presentation for the Research collaboration on a bid workshop at the Health and Care Research Wales conference 2019, Sop
Older people’s mobility, new transport technologies and user-centred innovation
Invited presentation to Psychology department, Cardiff University
Age-friendly transport solutions
Invited presentation to the 2019 Age Friendly Communities Conference, Bluecoats, Liverpool
Challenges for older drivers
Invited keynote at the National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme Annual Conference, Jury’s Inn, Cheltenham, UK.
Older road users' safety
Invited keynote at the inaugural Older Road User Conference, RAC Club Pall Mall, London, UK.
Environments of ageing
Invited presentation at the ESRC Festival of Science, Living Well, Ageing Well event at Waterfront Museum, Swansea, UK.
Driving in later life: opportunities and risks. Who’s qualified to advise older drivers?
Invited paper at the International TISPOL Conference, Manchester Airport.
Invited presentation British Society of Gerontology and Centre for Ageing and Dementia Research, Imagining Neighbourhood Event,
Older drivers in a physical context.
Invited presentation to Highways England Road Safety Behaviour Symposium. Coombe Abbey, Warwickshire.
Is the car really necessary for successful ageing?
Invited Presentation, Transport Studies Seminar Series on Mobilities for an Ageing Population, Hilary Term, Oxford University
A vision for an age friendly transport system in Wales.
Key note invited presentation to the Senedd, Cardiff Bay, Wales
Assessment of computer-based training packages that may improve the safety of older people's driver behaviour
Key note presentation to the 48th Annual Conference of the Universities' Transport Study Group (UTSG), UWE & Bristol University
Innovation in transport and mobility provision: Functional transport solutions
Invited presentation to Community Transport Association's Annual Westminster Conference, Institute of Civil Engineers, London
Understanding mobility and wellbeing in older age
Keynote address at Design for Wellbeing conference, Oxford Brookes University