You will be trained in adventurous and exciting computational science, working on real-world challenges that will transform society and the economy. While there are valid concerns about what impact big data and artificial intelligence might have on individuals, communities, jobs and society, this programme focuses on human potential, needs, desires and cares, and how these motivations can be used to drive innovation.
You will undertake your major project in collaboration with one of our world-class partners (including Google, Facebook, NHS, Tata Steel, Ford, Microsoft and many more), and also take part in a range of additional skill-enhancing activities such as sandpits, retreats and focused training events. As part of a close-knit cohort, students will learn human-centred methods, grounded in a broad range of theoretical, experimental, domain and methodological perspectives to understand how these can amplify and enhance human potential in big data and AI.
Topics Likely To Be Covered
- Human-Centred Perspectives and Methods
- Industrial Partner Case Studies
- Big Data
- Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Learning
- Abuses, Biases and Blessings of Data
- Trust, Argumentation and Verification
- Visual Analytics
- Interfaces and Modalities
- Critical Systems
- Data-Structures and Architectures
- Human-Centred Evaluation and Analysis
- Choice of topics relating to Law, Healthcare, and Factories of the Future