Sport and Exercise Sciences: Fully Funded Lions Sports Academy PhD Scholarship: Tackling in school rugby: evaluating methods to enhance safety and enjoyment
Closing date: 25 August 2021
This scholarship is funded by the Lions Sports Academy.
Subject areas: Sport Science, Sport Coaching
Project start date: 01/10/2021
Length of project: Three years
The Lions Sports Academy delivers physical development and sports coaching programmes, with the aim of improving the physical abilities, confidence, enjoyment and safety of young people when playing sport. This includes the Lions Sports Academy’s ‘Rugby Tackling Programme’, which is delivered alongside physical coaching and monitoring. This PhD programme is aimed at understanding the effectiveness of a school-based intervention programme delivered by the Lions Sports Academy. This will include quantitative and qualitative research methods.
We are looking to appoint a motivated PhD student, who is passionate about youth sport and coaching. The candidate will be competent in both qualitative and quantitative data collection and will be responsible for delivering the coaching programme in areas around London. The majority of the student’s time will be spent in London areas, with regular online supervision from academics in Swansea and occasional travel to Swansea for face-to-face meetings.
Dr Mark Waldron (Swansea University)
Professor Camilla Knight (Swansea University)
Professor Liam Kilduff (Swansea University)
Dr Jamie Tallent (St Mary’s University)
Candidates should hold a minimum of an upper second class (2:1) honours degree (or its equivalent) and ideally a master's in a relevant discipline, such as Sports Science or Sports Coaching.
Candidates should also have:
- A driving licence
- Knowledge of rugby
- Coaching experience in youth sport (preferably rugby)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
We would normally expect the academic and English Language requirements (IELTS 6.5 overall with 5.5+ in each component) to be met by point of application. For details on the University’s English Language entry requirements, please visit – http://www.swansea.ac.uk/admissions/english-language-requirements/.
Due to funding restrictions, this scholarship is available to UK candidates only.
This scholarship covers the full cost of UK tuition fees and an annual stipend of £15,000 for 3 years.
There will be additional research funds available of up to £1,000 per year.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete and submit the following documents to Dr Mark Waldron (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please address the email for your application as follows:
Tackling in school rugby: evaluating methods to enhance safety and enjoyment. – Dr Mark Waldron
- Research Scholarship Application Form 2021
- Two-page CV
- Degree certificates and transcripts
- A cover letter including a ‘Supplementary Personal Statement’ to explain why the position particularly matches your skills and experience and how you choose to develop the project.
- Contact details of two references (academic or previous employer)
The deadline for applications is Wednesday 25 August 2021.
For informal enquiries before the application deadline, please contact Dr Mark Waldron (email@example.com).
- Postgraduate scholarships and bursaries
- An introduction to postgraduate study
- Postgraduate Taught Courses
- Contact the Postgrad Admissions team
- Current Students
- How to apply for your postgraduate course
- Postgraduate Research Programmes
- Postgraduate Fees and Funding
- Postgraduate Open Days
- Apply Online
- Postgraduate Careers and Employability
- Why study at Swansea
- Academi Hywel Teifi
- Student life
- Student Services
- Information for parents and advisors
- Enrolment, Arrivals and Welcome
- Postgraduate Enquiry
- Postgraduate programme changes
- Meet our postgraduate students
- Postgraduate Prospectus