Engineering: Fully Funded PhD Scholarship: Digital Twin for Multiphase Flow in Construction, Energy and Manufacturing
Closing date: 15 August 2020
This scholarship is funded by EPSRC, ARUP Ltd. and LUSAS Software Ltd.
Start date: October 2020
Subject areas: Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science
A PhD scholarship is available to investigate and combine advances in computational modelling, data analysis, artificial intelligence, lab tests and field trials in order to improve the understanding of multiphase flow processes in construction, energy and manufacturing.
Research objectives include:
- Develop high-fidelity numerical models for multiphase flow systems encountered in construction, energy, and manufacturing space.
- Investigate the application of machine learning and artificial intelligence tools in engineering simulation.
- Study the underlying physics and practical complications through lab tests and field trials.
- Implement and demonstrate these methods and data on a unique large-scale case study in construction engineering, which is already operational and involves over 20 industrial leaders in UK, Europe, and USA.
Besides the opportunity to receive training and explore the above areas, the PhD student will benefit from working in a large research team of diverse expertise and collaborating closely with industrial leaders such as ARUP, LUSAS Software, Costain, the European Federation of Foundation Contractors (EFFC), and the Deep foundation Institute (DFI) in America.
- Professor Chenfeng Li
- Professor Hywel R Thomas (FRS, FREng)
- Dr Chris Barker, ARUP Group Ltd.
- Professor Paul Lyons, LUSAS Software Ltd.
Candidates should have a 2.1 undergraduate degree (and preferably a Master's level degree) (or equivalent) in Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, or Computer Science.
We would normally expect the academic and English Language requirements (IELTS 6.5 overall with 5.5+ in each component) to be met by point of application. For details on the University’s English Language entry requirements, please visit – http://www.swansea.ac.uk/admissions/english-language-requirements/
Due to funding restrictions, this scholarship is open to UK/EU candidates only. EU nationals are required to be ordinarily resident in the UK for at least 3 years prior to the start of the scholarship.
This scholarship covers the full cost of UK/EU tuition fees and an annual stipend of £15,285 for three years.
Allowance is provided for research consumables and conference attendance.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete and submit the following documents to Professor Chenfeng Li (email@example.com):
- College of Engineering PGR Scholarship Application
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Monitoring Form_Ffurflen Monitro
- Current CV
- Degree certificates and transcripts
- Contact details of two academic referees
The closing date for applications is 15 August 2020. However, applications will continue to be accepted until the positions are filled.
Informal enquiries are welcome, please contact Professor Chenfeng Li (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Postgraduate scholarships and bursaries
- An introduction to postgraduate study
- Postgraduate Taught Courses
- Contact the Postgrad Admissions team
- Current Students
- How to apply for your postgraduate course
- Postgraduate Research Programmes
- Postgraduate Fees and Funding
- Postgraduate Open Days
- Apply Online
- Postgraduate Careers and Employability
- Why study at Swansea
- Academi Hywel Teifi
- Student life
- Student Services
- Information for parents and advisors
- Enrolment, Arrivals and Welcome
- Postgraduate Enquiry
- Postgraduate programme changes
- Meet our postgraduate students
- Postgraduate Prospectus