Electrical Engineering: Fully Funded PhD Scholarship: Design of a Combined Energy Storage and Photovoltaic Energy System to Enhance Voltage Profile in Weak Power Grids
Closing date: 28 February 2019
This scholarship is funded by Swansea University's College of Engineering.
Subject areas: Electrical Engineering, Power Systems, Power Electronics, Controls
Start date: April 2019
Energy storage is one of the technologies which will allow further integration of renewable energies and variable loads such as electric vehicles in the power system. This project is aimed at designing the components and the controls of a combined system including energy storage and photovoltaic units, with the objective to improve the operating characteristics of weakly-connected or isolated distribution systems through voltage regulation.
The project will be divided in two main tasks:
- Component design: the first part of the project aims at identifying the optimal size and location of energy storage units along a distribution feeder which has a large amount of PV panels installed. The study will consider variable generation and load patterns, and include economic considerations to allow choosing the most appropriate battery technology and rating
- Control system design: the second part of the project aims at developing the control system which allows regulating the power flow to and from the energy storage unit based on the power system operating conditions and the battery state of charge. In addition to the main control, ancillary services will be developed to improve grid operation, while minimizing the number of charges and discharge cycles which will affect battery life.
Candidates should hold a minimum 2:1 degree or equivalent in electrical engineering, power systems, power electronics or control. Candidates will need to be very able, self-motivated and keen to engage with the international science and engineering community.
We would normally expect the academic and English Language requirements to be met by point of application. For details on the University’s English Language entry requirements, please visit – http://www.swansea.ac.uk/admissions/english-language-requirements/
Due to funding restrictions, this scholarship is open to UK/EU candidates only.
This scholarship covers the full cost of UK/EU tuition fees and an annual stipend of £14,777. There will be additional funds available for research expenses.
How to Apply
- Scholarships and bursaries
- An introduction to postgraduate study
- Postgraduate Taught Courses
- Current Students
- How to apply for your postgraduate course
- Postgraduate Research Programmes
- Fees and Funding
- Postgraduate Open Days
- Apply Online
- Careers and Employability
- Careers and employability
- Why study at Swansea
- Academi Hywel Teifi
- Student life
- Student Services
- Information for parents and advisors
- Enrolment, Arrivals and Welcome
- Postgraduate Enquiry