The PhD Aerospace Engineering - Distance Learning is subject to the same University regulations as the standard PhD programme, except that all meetings with the academic supervisors and other relevant Swansea University staff members can be held online. The student is welcome, but not required to visit Swansea University in-person, unless if told otherwise if/when some presence is required on campus.
Start dates: PhD/MPhil - 1st October, 1st January, 1st April & 1st July.
Our world-leading technology has contributed to many exciting projects, including aerodynamics for the current world land-speed record car, Thrust SSC, and the future land-speed record car and design of the double-decker super-jet Airbus A380.
Research within Engineering at Swansea University is multidisciplinary in nature, incorporating our strengths in research areas across the engineering disciplines.
mechanics forms the basis for the majority of the PhD and MPhil projects within these engineering disciplines.
Swansea University provides an excellent base for your research as a PhD or MPhil student in Aerospace Engineering.
Recent PhD theses supervised in the area of Aerospace Engineering at Swansea University include:
- Uncertainty Quantification for Complex Engineering Structures: Statics and Dynamics
- The Application of Composite Corrugated Panels to Morphing Aircraft
- On the Isogeometric Finite Element Method
- Design, Modelling and Optimisation of Morphing Structures for MALE UAVS
- Rolling contact fatigue detection via high frequency acoustic emission
- Development of Numerical Schemes to improve the efficiency of CFD Simulation of High Speed Viscous Aerodynamic Flows