How to Pay Your Fees

How to pay your fees

The below information relates to the 2017/18

Do you accept payment over the web?

Our secure online payment facility is available to all students (new and continuing) available 24/7. It can be accessed via the Swansea University Intranet. This system allows you to pay in full with a credit/debit card. Please note: The University will levy a charge of 1.5% on all payments made by credit card. This does not apply to payments made by debit card.

What payment terms are offered?

Tuition fees are payable in full at enrolment but the University is aware of the financial burden that may arise from the payment of tuition fees so will permit students to pay in two equal instalments.

Payment arrangements for Taught Postgraduate students do differ slightly from Research Postgraduates. The main reason is that Taught Postgraduate Programmes broadly follow the structure of the Undergraduate academic year whereas Research students enrol on a rolling 12 month cycle.

Please be aware that any scholarships or bursaries you may have been awarded do not count towards payment of your first instalment. As an example if your fees are £5,500 and you've been awarded a scholarship of £1,000 then you would be left with 2 instalments of £2,250 (£5,500 - £1,000 = £4,500 divided by 2).

If you choose to take up the instalment option you will be asked to submit a valid direct debit mandate at or before enrolment. We will then make arrangements to collect the fees in two instalments on the following dates depending on your course type and course start date:-

Course TypeStart Date1st Instalment2nd Instalment
PG Taught September 2017 10/11/2017  10/02/2018
PG Research April 2017 06/07/2017  10/11/2017
PG Research July 2017 10/11/2017 06/04/2018
PG Research October 2017 10/11/2017 06/04/2018
PG Research January 2018  06/04/2018  06/07/2018
PG Research April 2018 06/07/2018 09/11/2018
PG Research July 2018  09/11/2018  05/04/2019

We will advise you 10 days in advance of the exact payment dates. We will only accept instalments by direct debit.

Please ensure that your bank account permits payments by direct debit before you complete the mandate. We can only accept direct debit mandates that bear the signature(s) of the account holder(s).

Can I pay the full fee "up front"?

Yes. Payment in full can be made at or prior to enrolment. If you make a payment before enrolment please allow plenty of time for your payment to arrive and for it to be allocated to your tuition fee account.

Do you offer any payment discount?

Yes. If the personal fee that you are required to pay directly to the University exceeds £8,000 and payment of that fee is made in full by 6th October 2017 then you are entitled to receive a discount of 2%. You can deduct this discount from the total amount you pay. If payment is received after this date you are not entitled to a discount.

Please note:  discount does not apply to any scholarships you may receive – only the amount you personally pay to the University.

Discount is only available to students who pay fees personally. It is not available to sponsors.


Will I receive advance notice of the date on which tuition fee instalments are due to be made?

Yes, after enrolment you will receive a statement of account via your student e mail account 10 days in advance of the next instalment. This will clearly set out how much you are due to pay, how much you have paid, the date on which the payment is due and method of payment applicable in your case. Please be aware that we limit our communication with students to that sent to their student e mail accounts. Under University Regulations all enrolled students are expected to access their student e-mail accounts on a regular basis.

Can I pay in cash?

For your own personal security you are advised not to pay fees in cash. The aim in offering a number of payment methods is to avoid the need for you to carry large amounts of cash.

Please note: Cash will not be accepted during the enrolment period.

What if I am sponsored?

Some students receive fee support from external sources such as companies, charities, trust funds, and governments etc. If this is the case the University requires documentary evidence of the award. This evidence must be presented at or before enrolment and should make specific reference to the amount of fee contribution awarded and the Academic Year(s) it covers. You should ask your sponsor to complete a Confirmation of Sponsorship Form which can be printed from the following link

Students claiming to be in receipt of sponsorship will not be permitted to enrol without appropriate documentation. Sponsors are expected to pay invoices within 30 days. The University will continue to recognise an organisation as a legitimate sponsor only if payments are received promptly. We do not class parents/family as sponsors for the purposes of this definition and reserve the right to reject sponsorship credentials in certain circumstances.

What if my sponsor fails to pay?

This is very unusual but in the event that a sponsor fails to pay all or part of any fee due then you will be held personally responsible for any outstanding amount.

Penalty charges

To offset the additional administrative cost of processing unpaid direct debit claims and dishonoured cheques the University will levy a charge of £25 for each unpaid item.

Refund charges

To offset the additional administrative cost of processing an administration fee of £50 may be charged for refunds, please see refunds policy for full information.

Who can discuss my tuition fee situation?

Data Protection Legislation means that we can only discuss your personal tuition fee situation with you unless we have received your written permission to deal with a person nominated by yourself. These restrictions also apply if your parents are paying your fees.

Students Studying Abroad

Students studying abroad are required to pay all their fees before leaving the host University or Organisation. Failure to do so will result in the outstanding debt being passed to our Finance department at Swansea University to actively pursue the student to settle the unpaid amount. If the debt is still outstanding on completion of the academic course full details will be passed to an outside debt collection agency to recover.

What happens if I find paying my fees difficult?

Whilst we offer what we believe to be a fair system for paying fees in instalments we do expect payments to be made on the nominated due dates. If you find yourself in financial difficulties you are strongly advised to contact the Money Advice and Support Office within the Student Services Department who may be able to help with Hardship Funds and advice.

The worst case scenario for non- payment of fees is that under University Regulations you may be required to suspend your studies and re-enrol for the next Academic Year (once all outstanding fees have been paid). It is therefore important not to ignore any correspondence you may receive from the Finance Department.

Who can I talk to about payment of tuition fees?

You should contact the Income Section which is located on the ground floor of the Finance Building. E-mail: