Accepting your offer

Once you have an offer

If you are accepted onto a postgraduate programme at Swansea, you will receive an offer letter from us setting out any conditions you will need to meet before you can enrol at Swansea University, the cost of your course and the date on which it starts.

Your offer will be either Conditional or Unconditional:

  • Conditional means that you have not yet satisfied our academic, English language or any other entry requirements (such as references). Details of our offer conditions and how you can satisfy these requirements will be given in your offer letter.
  • Unconditional means that you have met all our academic, English language or other conditions (international applicants will be advised on how to obtain a ‘Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies’ (CAS) statement.

All made offer Terms and Conditions can be found on our Admissions Webpages.

To accept an offer of a place, you will need to sign and date the duplicate copy of the offer letter within 28 days of date of issue. You can send us your signed acceptance letter as follows:

Meeting terms of conditional offers:

You should try to meet all the conditions of your offer by early September if you are applying for entry in October. (This is particularly important for international students due to visa application deadlines.) This means that you will need to supply the required documentation demonstrating that you have met any outstanding conditions (e.g. academic requirements, English language and/or references) as detailed in your offer letter. We will send you a reminder prior to this deadline.

Applicants for taught programmes in Childhood Studies will require a satisfactory Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks. Please note that we will require the original copy of your disclosure certificate before you can be considered to have completed this condition and allowed to register with the University.

Unconditional offer and CAS statements

In order to receive a formal Unconditional offer statement, or, for international students a letter (known as a ‘Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies’ (CAS) statement) which will enable you to apply for a General (Adult) Student Tier 4 visa (if applicable) you will need to:

  1. Provide copies of degree certificates, transcripts and references as outlined in your Conditional offer letter.
  2.  Demonstrate that you have reached the required standard of English language competence by providing an English language test certificate of results which meet the scores specified in your Conditional offer letter.
  3. Pay your tuition fee deposit (international students only) of £2,000 to confirm your place and send us a copy of your personal details page of your passport.

If you are unable to meet all the conditions outlined in our offer letter, or you wish for personal reasons not to take up our offer, you can request deferral consideration to a potential later enrolment date. Please see the section below 'How do I defer my offer of a place' for further details. 

When all the conditions of an offer have been fulfilled, the Postgraduate Admissions Office will write to firmly accept you as a student of the University. Information on how to travel to Swansea (including details of our ‘meet and greet’ service for international students), enrolment, how to pay tuition fees and induction events for new postgraduates will also be sent to you.

Non-EEA applicants who complete the admissions process will be issued with instructions and a CAS number that they can use to apply for an adult student visa under Tier 4 of the Points Based System to study in the United Kingdom. Please note that it is the applicant’s responsibility to apply for their student visa at the relevant British Embassy or British High Commission. Some non-EEA students who are offered places to study on full-time programmes in certain science/engineering related subjects will also require an ATAS Clearance Certificate before applying for their student visa. Instructions on how to apply for an ATAS Clearance Certificate will be included with your offer letter.

You are encouraged to contact the Postgraduate Admissions Office at any time during the application process if you have any questions. Please remember to quote your Swansea student number in all email correspondence.

Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions


How do I accept my postgraduate offer?

  • You will receive two copies of your formal offer by email. The copy with the University logo is yours to keep, the second copy is for you to tick the "accept" box at the end of the letter, sign and date and return to the Admissions Office by email or by fax +44 (0) 1792 295110. The Admissions Office will send you a formal letter acknowledging receipt of your acceptance.

How do I defer my offer of a place?

  • Taught Master's applicants - please send an email to to defer your place for the next academic year. Two deferrals are allowed on one application: you will need to re-apply with fresh references and a new personal statement if you are unable to study within the allowed deferral period.
  • Research applicants - it potentially may be possible to defer admission to any one of our four start points: October, January, April or July. Please email with your request and intended new start date and this will be referred to your proposed supervisor(s) for approval consideration. Please note that deferral approval is not automatic and thus not guaranteed. The University of course does its utmost to support research offer deferral requests.

Please note -  It is not possible to defer an offer of a University scholarship: you will need to re-apply but there is no guarantee that any future application for an award will be successful.

How can I apply for Home fee status?

  • The main criterion for Home/EU fees status is settled residency: 3 years ordinary residence in the UK or EU country for purposes other than full-time education. The 3 years is normally the period preceding 1 September before the start of your course. Your fee status will not normally change during your degree. Full details on how your fee status is determined can be found on the UKCISA website.

If you have a query about your fee status, you can request a fees query questionnaire from the Admissions Office ( Please return your completed questionnaire and supporting documentation to the same email address.

If you have been granted indefinite leave to remain, you must submit the relevant pages from your passport or a letter from the Home Office confirming your status. On receipt of the completed questionnaire, and relevant evidence, we will then review the decision on your fee status and you will be informed of the outcome.

If you have been working overseas on a temporary contract, you must submit a copy of your contract and the conditions of your employment.