STFC Fully-Funded Scholarship in Centre for Doctoral Training in Data Intensive Science at Swansea University
Closing date: Position is open until filled. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis
Start date: 1 October 2020
Swansea University’s Department of Physics has an opening for an STFC/College of Science funded scholarship in 2020 in Particle Physics and Cosmology Theory. The successful applicant will join the 2020 cohort of the Data Intensive Centre for Doctoral Training, a three-university consortium formed by cognate research groups at the universities of Bristol, Cardiff and Swansea. As well as receiving courses delivered at Swansea in theoretical physics, CDT students will benefit from specialist training in data science, and undertake a six-month placement at a commercial or industrial partner organisation.
See https://data-intensive-cdt.ac.uk for further information
Research can be done in several areas of interest within the Particle Physics and Cosmology Theory group at Swansea including:
• Theoretical cosmology and gravitational waves
• Hot and dense QCD on the lattice
• Physics beyond the standard model
• Quantum Field Theories of Condensed Matter
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview over Skype or Zoom.
Candidates must have a first, upper second class honours or a Masters degree with Merit, in a relevant discipline. Informal enquiries and queries on eligibility for this programme may be directed to the Swansea CDT lead Prof. Simon Hands email@example.com
Studentships funded by STFC are subject to UK/EU residency eligibility.
For candidates whose first language is not English, we require IELTS 6.5 (with 6.0 in each component) or equivalent. Please visit our website for a list of acceptable English language tests. We prefer candidates to have already met the English Language requirements at the point of application, although this is not a requirement.
These are 48 month fully-funded STFC scholarships, which cover UK/EU tuition fees and an annual stipend. The current stipend is £15,285 per annum.
How to apply:
To apply for this studentship, please download the research scholarship application form and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Form and return them to the College of Science with the following:
• Academic References – all scholarship applications require two supporting references to be submitted. Please ensure that your chosen referees are aware of the funding deadline, as their references form a vital part of the evaluation process. Please either include these with your scholarship application or ask your referees to send them directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Academic Transcripts and Degree Certificates – academic transcripts and degree certificates must be submitted along with the scholarship application by the funding deadline. We will be using these to verify your academic qualifications.
• A recent CV
• Applicants should use the ‘Supplementary Personal Statement’ section of the application form to indicate, in broad terms, their proposed research interests within the activities of the Particle Physics and Cosmology Theory group.
• Should you wish to also apply for other current scholarship advertisements within the PPCT group please state this directly on your form.
Please email the documents to email@example.com and include ‘STFC 20-21 CDT SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION’ in the subject line of your application.