Closing date for applications: 13 May 2019
Start date: 1 October 2019
Swansea University’s Department of Physics has a call for EPSRC-funded scholarships in 2019 in areas spanning the research interests of the Atomic Molecular and Quantum Physics (AMQP) group. These include, but are not limited to:
- Antihydrogen Research with the ALPHA Collaboration
- Positronium research, including interactions with trapped ions
- Positron beam physics, and positron annihilation spectroscopy
- Ultra-cold atoms with tapered optical nano-fibres as a quantum interface
- Quantum computing and simulation to develop atomic, molecular and optical systems for quantum information processing
- Development of quantum neural networks, based on atoms and photons
- Femto-second electron pulse generation for time-resolved imaging of structural dynamics in the condensed phase
- Laser-Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS)
- Levitated optomechanics for fundamental measurements and technological applications
- Adaptive control of soft X-rays for coherent imaging
- Modelling, simulation and control of quantum systems with applications to quantum technology, spintronics and MR spectroscopy
- Raman spectroscopy for disease diagnosis
Applications should be received before 13 May 2019, with interviews taking place as soon as possible thereafter.
Candidates must have a first, upper second class honours or a Masters degree with Merit (or equivalent), in a relevant discipline. Informal enquiries and queries on eligibility for this programme may be directed to the Postgraduate Admissions Tutor, Professor Markus Müller - email@example.com, or the Head of Group, Professor Mike Charlton – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Studentships funded by EPSRC are subject to UK/EU residency eligibility.
For candidates whose first language is not English, we require IELTS 6.5 (with 6.0 in each component) or equivalent. Please visit our website for a list of acceptable English language tests. We prefer candidates to have already met the English Language requirements at the point of application, although this is not a requirement.
These are three-year fully-funded EPSRC scholarships, which cover UK/EU tuition fees and an annual stipend. The current stipend is £14,777 per annum. Additional cost-of-living support is available for projects based at CERN.
How to apply:
To apply for this studentship, please download the research scholarship application form and return it to the College of Science with the following:
- Academic References – all scholarship applications require two supporting references to be submitted. Please ensure that your chosen referees are aware of the application deadline, as their references form a vital part of the evaluation process. Please either include these with your scholarship application or ask your referees to send them directly to email@example.com
- Academic Transcripts and Degree Certificates – academic transcripts and degree certificates must be submitted along with the scholarship application by the application deadline. We will be using these to verify your academic qualifications.
- A recent CV
- Applicants should use the ‘Supplementary Personal Statement’ section of the application form to indicate, in broad terms, their proposed research interests within the activities of the AMQP group.
Please email the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or post them to:
Recruitment and Marketing Team
College of Science
Swansea SA2 8PP