Research Assistant Bursaries

The University recognises that, as an organisation whose main concern is that of learning, it should offer support (within available resources) to students employed as Research Assistants seeking to obtain a higher education research degree through supervised research.

Full-time Research Assistants will be eligible for a Research Assistant bursary, equivalent to the standard home fee for a full-time course.

The University reserves the right to withdraw the Research Assistant bursary at any time if it is deemed not to be in the interests of the University.


In order to qualify for a Research Assistant Bursary, a Research Assistant must:

  • Be a full-time employee of Swansea University (hereafter referred to as “the University”) at the point of enrolment or re-enrolment;
  • Be undertaking full-time research in a subject area relevant to the research project work of the Research Assistant at the University and during the course of study; 
  • Have been authorised to pursue a research degree as a Research Assistant by the Head of School;
  • Have successfully applied for the Research Assistant bursary in advance of enrolment or re-enrolment (and reapply for each year of the course a tuition fee is payable). 

It is the normal expectation that a research assistant will not be eligible to receive a bursary where it can be shown that:

  • A research grant or external sponsorship is contributing to the full cost of tuition fees
  • There is evidence that the duties of the research assistant will be incompatible with or will impair the individual’s ability to complete their course of study.

The bursary will be withdrawn from a Research Assistant who does not progress satisfactorily.

In addition, where a Research Assistant has previously withdrawn from a course or has not progressed satisfactorily, they may become ineligible for further Research Assistant bursaries. 

In the event of the Research Assistant leaving the University: 

  • The Research Assistant bursary will not cover fees due after the date of termination of employment.
  • A Research Assistant leaving the employment of the University will become liable to pay fees covering the period of enrolment after the date of termination of employment and in accordance with the University’s regulations governing student finance and fees. 


As stated above, applications for the Research Assistant bursary must be submitted and approved in advance of enrolment and re-enrolment (and must be reapplied for each year of the course a tuition fee is payable).  

The completed form must be returned to: Student Finance, Academic Services, Singleton Abbey Stable Block, Swansea University.

Research Assistant Bursary Form