The term 'estranged student' is used to refer to young students who are studying without the support of a family network. Students who are estranged have no communicative relationship with either of their living biological parents and this can often have a huge impact on students whilst they study. For this reason, Swansea University offer a support package to assist you in these circumstances.

Named Contact

We have a dedicated member of staff who acts as a named contact to support students who are estranged. The staff member provides a point of contact for estranged students, and is available to offer information and guidance before you start your course and during your studies.  If you encounter a problem and don’t know where to turn for help, the named contact will provide advice and support where applicable, and may liaise with other services to resolve your issues.

Library and Careers Support

We offer direct access to Library and Careers Support via a Library plus named contact and additional opportunites via GoWales

Support with Student Finance

One of the biggest hurdles for estranged students is securing the full amount of student finance provision they are entitled to. Our award winning Money@CampusLife team can support you to ensure that issues with your student finance are resolved as quickly and smoothly as possible.

If an estranged student is struggling financially, they are also advised to apply for the Swansea University Opportunity Award, so that we can look to alleviate those short-term financial issues. Get in touch with your named contact for assistance in ensuring your financial issues are addressed quickly and with the minimum of fuss.

Accommodation Support

We offer year round accommodation to students who are estranged, so you don’t have to worry about somewhere to stay over the vacation periods.


Email or call 01792 606699 for more information