Affiliate membership - be a member of a vibrant network of like-minded businesses in life sciences without renting a dedicated office suite. You will be able to access facilities and support through one of our excellent value, and low-risk, low-cost, membership packages. While there are different membership packages, the benefits are the same:
- Access to space and facilities to develop your business idea;
- Ability to use the ILS address for mailing purposes;
- Access to meeting and conference rooms, specialist facilities and equipment in ILS, with some limited free use.
- Access to seminars and workshops organised by ILS.
- Invitation to networking events, providing the opportunity to collaborate and share best practice with other Affiliates and Client Organisations.
- Included on the Medicine School Bulletin and other relevant information distribution lists.
- Access to Business Support staff.
The Affiliate membership is aimed at
- small businesses and individuals who are start-ups and in the very early stages of developing their business idea;
- large organisations wanting to develop a base in an innovative environment to explore business opportunities;
- University staff or students who want to ‘spin-out’ a business idea from the research they have been undertaking;
- Previous Affiliates or Client Organisations who have ‘graduated’ but still wish to maintain links with the ILS community.
- International enterprises wanting a ‘soft landing’ facility to use as a base to explore opportunities in the region.
Business Incubation Suites
There are 21 Suites located on the ground floor of the ILS Phase One building, and on the fourth and fifth floors of the Phase Two building which opened for business in January 2012. Hot desking facilities are also available. Access to specialist facilities and meeting rooms is provided to Client Organisations and Affiliates. Laboratory space may be available to Client Organisations for which separate charges are made. (Access to services and facilities are subject to availability and reasonable use.)
Rental and Service charge - £16 per square foot per annum initially, rising to £18 after year 3, which includes the provision of 2 car parking permits per Suite, heating, lighting, cleaning and maintenance of all common areas. Cleaning of Suites is the responsibility of Client Organisations, but arrangements can be made with the University’s cleaning staff for an additional fee.
Electricity – included in the service charge
Telephones equipment, calls and charges – paid by Client Organisations;
IT connections – currently links to high speed network connections are provided as part of the service charge, but this will be subject to review on an annual basis;
Business Rates – payable direct to the Local Authority.
Client organisations will normally come from one of the following groups:
- University spin-outs.
- Welsh start-up businesses.
- Inward investors (global, SME, micro companies).
- Government research organisations
Membership is not suitable for training, consultancy and sales organisations, nor for Government funded Business Support agencies. The facilities are not suitable for the manufacturing of products.