Rethinking legal education and practice
The Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Law (CIEL) is responding to emerging challenges and opportunities arising from the changing nature of legal service delivery, including the impacts of technologies such as artificial intelligence and Blockchain, and digital platforms that support access to justice.
CIEL is focussed on rethinking the nature of legal education and practice, and promoting the acquisition of high-level skills related to technology-driven legal practice. The Centre also aspires to provide an environment where “Legal Tech” entrepreneurs are supported to bring their ideas to fruition, to create new products and services, and to harness technology to drive innovation in access to justice.
Established in August 2017, it is anticipated that CIEL will deliver a range of initiatives, including:
- Enhanced curriculum at undergraduate and postgraduate level
- Coding training for Law students
- A law clinic for technology start-ups
- Legal Tech networking events
- Continuing Professional Development and training
- Hackathons, bootcamps and access to seedcorn funding
- Entrepreneurship and leadership programmes