What is a Biometric Residence Permit Card (BRPC)?

BRPC 300x177

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) has introduced a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card for all people issued with a visa for more than six months who apply outside the UK. The following arrangements apply to all students who start a course from September 2015 onwards.

When your visa application is approved, you will be issued with an Entry Clearance vignette (sticker) in your passport which is valid for 30 days. This will be accompanied by a letter.  You must travel to the UK before the vignette expires. When you arrive in the UK, you will be required to collect your BRP Card within 10 days of entering.

Swansea University has been approved by the Home Office to distribute the BRP Cards to all of our students who are required to have one.  In order for your card to be delivered to Swansea University, you must enter the Swansea University Alternative Collection Location (ACL) code when prompted to do so on your visa application form. There will be a space to enter an Alternative Location Code (ALC). It is very important that you enter the University’s ALC code at this point- as this means your visa card will be sent directly to the University for collection on your arrival in the UK.

There are 2 codes dependant on which Campus you are studying at (the Campus address can be found on your CAS statement).

  • The ALC code for Singleton Park Campus is: 2HE544.
  • The ALC code for Bay Campus is: 2HE987.

If you do not enter one of these codes you will have to collect from somewhere else and it could be quite difficult to get there on public transport. Having your visa card sent to the University also enables us to help you should the card be delayed or missing. 

Please note that the ALC code is ONLY applicable for Tier 4 student applications. You may have significant difficulties accessing your BRP in the UK if you try using it for any other visa routes. This is because the University is not approved (allowed) to issue BRPs under categories outside of Tier 4. 

Provided that you selected Swansea University as the Alternative Collection Location, then your BRP card will be ready for you to collect when you enrol in person.  You will need to bring your passport containing your Entry Clearance Vignette and the letter that you received when your visa was issued with you when you come to collect your BRP and enrol.  Please note that we will not be able to issue your BRP without these documents and you will not be able to enrol on your course until you have collected your BRP.

For details of how to apply for a Tier 4 visa from outside the UK, see Applying for a visa from outside the UK.

Find out more about BRPCs.

What if my BRP card has been lost, damaged or stolen (in the UK)?

You must apply for a replacement BRP card as soon as possible. You must apply for a replacement BRP within three months of notifying the UKVI by email. Important:  If you fail to apply for a replacement BRP within three months of losing the card, you may be issued a civil penalty of up to £1,000 and be made to leave the UK. 

1. You will need to report this to the UKVI. Follow the instructions from the UKVI website.

2. Download and complete Form BRP(RC) from the UKVI website and include the documents listed in the form. The fee is listed on the form. The form must be completed in black ink and CAPITAL LETTERS.

3. Please use our sample form for guidance - 

4. Once you have done all the above, make an appointment with the Advisers at International@CampusLife who will check your application and send it off for you.

See our leaflet for full details -