There is an increasing emphasis on the Health Service's ability to provide an appropriate service for patients in Welsh and a significant and growing demand in the field for Welsh speaking Nurses and Midwives, who are confident in dealing with patients through the medium of Welsh.
The Welsh Government’s Follow-on Strategic Framework for Welsh Language Services in Health, Social Services and Social Care is to support a greater level of recognition among service providers that the use of the Welsh language is not just a matter of choice but also a matter of need. It is especially important for many vulnerable people and their families who need to access services in their first language, such as older people suffering from dementia or stroke who may lose their second language or very young children who may only speak Welsh.
At the core of all arguments for strengthening Welsh language provision in health, social services and social care is patient safety, dignity and respect. Care and language go hand in hand and the quality of care can be compromised by the failure to communicate with people in their first language. In order for you to feel confident to use the Welsh language when working, it is a good idea for you to study part of the course through the medium of Welsh so that you continue to practice and familiarise yourself with relevant Welsh-medium vocabulary and expressions within the field.
All students studying Nursing can:
- Choose a Welsh language interview when applying for a place
- Choose to work with a Welsh-speaking mentor if you’re studying a course with a placement element
- Have a Welsh-speaking academic tutor (where possible)
- Submit assignments through the medium of Welsh
- Welsh logo on uniform (for placements)
- Choose student accommodation that has been reserved for Welsh speakers
- Download our free app : Gofalu Trwy’r Gymraeg
- As well as that, undergraduate pre-reg students have access to bilingual portfolio documents.
- The Social Work degree is also eligible for a Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol Incentive Scholarship worth £1,500.
- Academi Hywel Teifi Welsh-medium Scholarships and Bursaries scheme is open to Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work students (Terms and Conditions apply)
Senior Lecturer and Welsh Lead for the College
Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol Nursing Lecturer