Swansea University


Motor Insurance Advice for Swansea University Staff and Students

Swansea University has comprehensive motor insurance cover for all staff and students who need to hire a vehicle on official University business or who need to drive one of the University's owned vehicles.

‌‌‌‌‌‌Click on the link below to obtain an up-to-date motor insurance certificate if you have been asked for one by the leasing company.

Motor Insurance Certificate 2018 - 2019

 Any person nominated by a Head of Department can drive a University owned or hired car providing that the correct authorisation has been sought.

Minibus drivers are strongly advised to have completed the relevant training course. Departments should now organise any required training themselves. 

To obtain  Driver’s Authorisation so that a hire vehicle or university-owned vehicle can be driven on university business :-

The intended driver needs to complete F – E 17.1, driver’s authorisation form that can be accessed here., http://www.swansea.ac.uk/finance/staffinformation/formsanddocuments/ - they must obtain a check code from the DVLA website using https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence . The code is valid for 21 days.

Once this is done, the Head of the College, approved Deputy, or Business Partner needs to authorise the form after having gone onto the website to check the licence detail using https://www.gov.uk/check-driving-information ; they then forward the authorisation to insurance@swansea.ac.uk .

 For students in sports clubs, the authorisation needs to come via the Sports Swansea office staff.

The email can be a standard,

 Please see attached drivers form for xxxx. I authorise him/her to drive any vehicle owned or hired by the University on behalf of .......


This is because, in the event of any claim, the relevant College / PSU agrees to pay any excess in the event of a claim.

The minimum excess payable is currently £400 but this can rise to £700 depending on the age of the driver and/or experience.

Any person who has 6 or more points on his/her licence for a single offence, or 9 or more points for separate offences must contact the insurance administrator first before driving a vehicle on university business as the matter must first be referred to our motor insurers. Contact +44(0)1792 295434, or by e-mail, insurance@swansea.ac.uk 

Further information on "points on driving licences" can be sourced here from the DVLA website.

Any claims arising from the use of a hire car where such notification has not been made renders the employee / student personally liable for any costs incurred.

Reporting a Claim 

Please quote our Policy number when reporting any incident -

FP-4199020 Swansea University.

In the event of a motor claim, the driver of the vehicle must contact the insurers directly to report the claim. 

See Equity Red Star (ERS) Claims Procedure  for relevant contact procedures.



The fourth EU Motor Directive came into effect in the UK on 20th January 2003. Under this Directive, the University has an obligation to inform its insurance company of any vehicle covered by its motor policy, where the period of hire exceeds fourteen days.It does not apply where the period of hire is less than fourteen days.

In order that the University ensures that it complies with this directive, any members of staff that are hiring/leasing vehicles for more than fourteen days must email the following information to insurance@swansea.ac.uk  as soon as the hire or long lease is arranged.

  1. Hire Company
  2. Description of vehicle (e.g. Red Ford Fiesta 1.2)
  3. Registration Number of Vehicle
  4. Date cover to commence (dd/mm/yy)
  5. Date cover to cease (dd/mm/yy)


    If you are travelling to Europe on University Business and require European Breakdown Cover, you must arrange this yourselves. 

Employees / Students Own Cars

When using their own private car on University business, employees / students should ensure that their insurance cover extends to business use and the insurer should, if necessary, be asked to endorse the certificate to confirm that driving in the performance of that persons business is covered by the insurance policy.The University will not reimburse the cost of any damage caused to an employee’s / student's private car or associated insurance excess.