Swansea is one of the UK’s leading centres for materials teaching and research. The internationally leading materials research conducted at Swansea is funded by prestigious organisations such as Rolls Royce, Airbus, The European Space Agency, and Tata Steel.
The Materials Research Centre (MRC) has pioneered postgraduate degrees that are tailored to the needs of industry and produce top quality research. This successful approach is demonstrated by a research grant portfolio in excess of £40 million.
Our key research areas include:
- Design against failure by creep, fatigue and environmental damage
- Structural metals and ceramics for gas turbine applications
- Grain boundary engineering
- Recycling of polymers and composites
- Corrosion mechanisms in new generation magnesium alloys
- Development of novel strip steel grades (IF, HSLA, Dual Phase, TRIP)
- Functional coatings for energy generation, storage and release
Find out more about the groups, projects and the staff within the centre below.