Training and Events
This page details our events and training provision. Please see the information and calendar below for more details.
NB. Canvas Essentials comprises of four courses. Course Development is the starting point and is only available between the 03 Feb 2020 and 30 April 2020. Therefore it is critical that you book and engage with this training early to identify your Canvas development requirements and allow enough time to prepare your teaching content for September 2020.
Canvas Essentials Training for staff
We have created a Canvas Essentials training package to get you started on your development journey. Canvas Essentials includes four courses, depending on your assigned role in the platform (Teacher, College Admin, etc.) you may not need to attend all sessions. Read the course descriptors below to help determine your pathway. Training will be rolled out from February 2020 and we will be offering a range of training and support opportunities for Academic and Support Staff. Please review the training sessions in the calandar below to identify those which best suit your needs and abilities, and book your place using the calendar and Eventbrite link below.
The ‘Canvas Essentials’ series comprises of four separate elements:
- Course Development
- Assessment and Feedback 1 – Assignments and Grading
- Assessment and Feedback 2 - Quizzes and Surveys
- Communication and Collaboration
Prior to attending training you will need to login to Canvas and access the CPD Canvas Essentials course. Here you will find information about our courses. There are online preparation tasks required for each course and these need to be completed prior to attendance at the face-to-face training sessions - CPD - Canvas Essentials
This session is essential for new Canvas users and is the first course you should complete in the series. The aim is to provide an overview of course structuring, file organisation, uploads and content production and embedding. This session has been devised for academic and professional services administration staff involved in creating a course.
This session is essential for new Canvas users and is the second you should complete in the series. The aim is to provide an overview of the main assessment and feedback options available within Canvas. The session will cover how to manage the main assessment elements, including setting up an Assignment, Rubrics, SpeedGrader and the Gradebook. This session has been devised for academic and professional services administration staff involved in setting up assessments.
For staff who wish to develop their use of assessment and feedback further, an extension session is available, Assessment and Feedback 2 about quizzes and surveys. We recommend staff attend Assessment and Feedback 1 prior to Assessment and Feedback 2. If Assessment and Feedback 1 meets your needs then you may not wish to continue with Assessment and Feedback 2.
This session provides an understanding of the application of quizzes and surveys within Canvas, including the use of various question types. This builds on the knowledge gained from Assessment and Feedback 1, and should be completed after it. This session has been devised for academic and professional services administration staff involved in managing quizzes and surveys.
This session provides an overview of following Canvas tools: collaborations, conferences, discussions, appointment groups and announcements. This session has been devised for academic and professional services administration staff who wish to build communication and collaboration into their courses.
The following instructions outline how to book onto Canvas training:
- Toggle the month or agenda view to see the selection of courses available (select the agenda view for a fuller view of the course titles)
- Click on your chosen training course in the calendar - opens a new window (If a smaller window opens up click on “more details” on the bottom left)
- Click on the Eventbrite link - opens a new window
- Click the green "Register" button and follow the registration process, entering your details
- You will receive an email confirming your registration - it may take a few minutes
- The registration email contains an option to add to Outlook under the date
- You can also add the event to your calendar by viewing the event details from your email or this calendar
- If you have any issues please contact email@example.com
Canvas Essential Training will be delivered by the Canvas Project Team. Please click here to meet the project team.
- Academi Hywel Teifi
- International Students
- Semester and Term Dates
- Student Life
- Why Study in Swansea?
- Parents and Guardians
- Open Days at Swansea University
- Go Global
- Swansea Employability Academy
- Student Services
- Enrolment, Arrivals and Welcome
- Our Student Stories
- Request a prospectus
- How can I transfer to Swansea University?
- What is Freshers?