Day Two, 2pm - Studio Room
This panel will present some ideas on what modern and contemporary writers of English do in their works and in public activities with their knowledge of other languages. Two contributions take the form of case studies, two are more generally reflective.
- Katie Jones - This Book Which Is Not One: The Language of the (m)Other in Ali Smith’sHowBoth
- Dr Luca Paci - Multilingual Writing, Memory and (Re)construction in the Work of Shirin Ramzanali Fazel
- Prof Julian Preece - Towards a Typology of the Contemporary ‘Modern Languages Novel’ in English
- Dr Aled Rees - Colm Tóibín and his role as Cultural Intermediary between the Hispanic and Anglophone Worlds
- Dr Richard Robinson – Thoughts on the ‘Problem’ of style