Swansea University

12. Research students from outside the European Union

12. Research students from outside the European Union

If you are a postgraduate research student from outside the European Union, enrolled full-time at the University for a Research Degree, you must read the following information carefully and plan your studies accordingly:

* If you are a non-EU national who requires a student visa to study in the UK, you must be in full-time study in order to get a Tier 4 student visa; It is only possible to study part-time if you qualify for another UK visa status;

* In order to apply for a Tier 4 student visa, you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the University;

* There are four possible enrolment dates each year for a PhD or MPhil (1 January, 1 April, 1 July, 1 October) and your CAS will show your agreed enrolment date;

* MRes students must check to confirm when their programme commences. MRes programmes may not have as many enrolment dates as a traditional research programme;

* You can request that your student visa be valid up to one month before your enrolment date, to enable you to enter the UK and prepare yourself for your studies;

* The UK Visas and Immigration visa rules state that the expiry date of your student visa will be at the end of your maximum candidature plus 4 months, as follows:

* 4 years plus 4 months for a PhD candidate;

* 3 years plus 4 months for an MPhil candidate;

* 2 years plus 4 months for an MRes candidate.

* The visa rules do not allow you to have a visa for any longer, unless the University extends your candidature;

* As it can take more than four months after submission of the thesis for you to take a viva exam and make corrections, the University strongly advises you not to wait until the end of the fourth year of candidature before submitting a thesis;

* If you do submit your thesis at the end of your candidature, you are likely to find that your visa has expired before your degree is formally confirmed, and you may not be able to stay in the UK in order to make a further visa application or take up a job offer.

12.1 If you have any questions about your visa and other immigration matters, please contact the University’s International Students Advisory Service on isas@swansea.ac.uk

< 11. Issues of relevance to Part-time students | 13. Tier 4 Doctoral Extension Scheme and Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) >