NHS Funding

2017/18 Funding Update

Following the UK Governments decision to remove NHS funding for students studying in England, the Welsh government announced in December 2016:

"I am today confirming that for those individuals who elect to study an eligible health related programme in Wales commencing in September 2017 the current NHS Bursary will be available. This will be based upon individuals committing in advance to take up the opportunity to work in Wales post qualification for a period of two years. Individuals who do not feel they can commit to this two year service provision will not be eligible to receive the benefits of the NHS Wales Bursary Scheme, however Welsh domiciled students will have access to the standard student support package available from Student Finance Wales. This arrangement is intended to be in place for the 2017/18 cohort only, while the longer term support package is developed."

Whilst we are still awaiting exact details of how future NHS funding will work, we have been led to beleive that this will apply to all UK students studying in Wales. This therefore means that those who study in Wales and commit to working here for 2 years following the completion of their degree will still be entitled to the funding structure detailed below.

For Welsh domicilled students studying in Wales who do not wish to commit to working in Wales for 2 years after they graduate, they are able to apply for student loans and grants. Non-Welsh domiciled students, who do not wish to commit to work in Wales on graduation, will still be able to study in Wales but will need to secure funding from an alternative sources, this may include funding from the relevant funding body in their home country or self finance etc. Details of student finance funding can be found here.

NHS Student Funding 2016/17

If you are a prospective NHS student or a parent of one, please have a look at our NHS Funding Booklet 16/17 for more information regarding what funding is available for prospective NHS students. For those due to study in 2017/18, we are still awaiting exact figures to be announced but beleive the details below will not change substancially in future. 

Tuition Fees

Tuition Fees are charged at £9000 per year but are covered in full by the NHS so no tuition fee payment is required.

NHS Maintenance Funding

NHS Funding is also available in the form of a non-means tested NHS grant of £1,000 and a means-tested NHS bursary up to £4491. The actual amount of bursary you will receive will be dependent on the length of your course and your household income.

In addition, students can apply for a number of additional supplementary grants if they meet specific criteria. These grants are means tested and are: 

  • Dependants’ Allowances
  • Parent Learning Allowance
  • Childcare Allowance

IMPORTANT - Please be aware that the first instalment of NHS funding is not usually paid until the end of the 2nd month of your course.

Student Awards Services implements the NHS Wales Bursary Schemes, which provides funding for healthcare students on NHS funded courses in Wales. If you are considering a professional career in health care and would like to know more about the financial support you will get during your training, then please contact:

Bursary Enquiries - Tel:   02920 905380

Email:   abm.sas@wales.nhs.uk

Website: www.nwsspstudentfinance.wales.nhs.uk/home

Maintenance Loans 17/18

Students are also able to access a reduced rate non-means tested Maintenance Loan of £3392 (Wales) or £2324 (England). Applications will need to be made to Student Finance Wales or Student Finance England

Students who have previous study or already hold a degree qualification WILL still be able to receive this loan.

Other Funding

Depending on a students' circumstances Disability Student's Allowance (DSA) may also be available, further advice can be obtained from our Disability@CampusLife team.

Swansea University provides further support for Care Leavers, more information can be obtained from Student Services.


NHS Funding Video