Weblink to the College of Arts and Humanities
Classics, Ancient History and Egyptology offers the study of history and literature, archaeology and art, and philosophy to shed light on the ancient civilisations that have shaped our modern world. Warfare, Politics and Gender were key issues of the ancient world, just as they are today.
Classical Civilisation covers the civilisation and culture of the Greek and Roman worlds and can be studied as a single honours degree or joint honours with Greek or Latin.
Swansea University has the Egypt Centre which houses some 3000 archaeological objects from the Wellcome Collection of Egyptian antiquities and our students have practical and curatorial opportunities as part of our programmes and extra-curricula at the Centre. Our students can also take part in the “Literacy through Latin” programme which offers the opportunity to teach Latin to primary school children and the community.
Visit the website to listen to Dr. Ian Repath talk about the programmes and have a look at module information.
Weblink to Modern Languages information.
We welcome all enquiries and applications. Our preferred offer for Single and Joint Honours is BBC at A level (excluding General Studies) or equivalent. BBC offer is made on review of the application form, after taking into consideration the subjects studied, the predicted grades, reference and personal statement. Candidates pursuing Scottish Highers, the Irish Leaving Certificate, Access courses, the International Baccalaureate, European Baccalaureate or Welsh Baccalaureate qualifications, are also eligible.
For more information on Scholarships and Bursaries for this course, please click here
Weblink to College of Arts and Humanities Research.
You are taught through lectures, seminars and tutorials. At every level, we attach importance to interactive teaching and learning, in order to develop your independence and study skills. In Level 1, each module lasts for one Teaching Block (a half-year). You have two lectures per week for each non-language 20 credit module, some of which may be set up as discussion classes. For each module you will have to write one essay or other exercise, which counts for 25 per cent of the assessment; the remaining 75 per cent comes from a formal examination at the end of the module. Latin, Greek and Egyptian Language have three or four classes per week, combining continuous assessment and examination. At Levels 2 and 3, we offer a menu of 20 credit modules covering all aspects of history, archaeology, literature and culture of the Egyptian, Greek and Roman worlds. All students must write a dissertation (20 credits) in their final year, based on independent research. We adopt an innovative and imaginative approach to assessment: the taught modules are assessed in a wide range of ways, including quizzes, exhibitions, group presentations, assessed seminars, and timed in-class exercises, as well as by formal examination.
Information regarding dates and times for Enrolment can be found on the Student Records webpages.
Applications should be made through UCAS.
Please see this page for information on studying at Swansea University
Apply for your course by looking at this page.
T: +44 (0)1792 606981 / 606980
F: +44 (0)1792 602395
Arts and Humanities