Applying for a student visa
In order to travel and study in the UK for a period of more than six months, you must apply for a Tier 4 General Visa.
To be eligible for Tier 4 General student visa, you must have:
- An unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor.
- Enough money to support yourself and pay for your course.
Tier 4 (General) Student Visa
You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you:
- have been offered a place in a course
- can speak, read, write and understand English
- have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course - the amount will vary depending on your circumstances
- are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
- meet the other eligibility requirements
On this visa you can:
- work as a student union sabbatical officer
- apply from inside or outside the UK
- apply to extend your stay
- work - depending on what level your course is and what kind of sponsor you have: You can bring family members (dependants) and you can arrive up to 1 week before your course starts if your course lasts 6 months or less or up to 1 month before your course starts if your course lasts more than 6 months.
It costs £348 to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa from outside the UK. You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.
Short-term Student Visa
You can apply for a short-term study visa if:
- you’re completing a short course of study in the UK
- you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
On this visa you can:
- complete a short course of study in the UK, such as an English language course or a training course
- complete a short period of research as part of a degree course if you are studying abroad
- stay 6 months - for any short course (including English language courses), or short period of research if you’re 18 or over
- stay 11 months - if you’re 18 or over and taking an English language course
£97 for a 6-month visa or £186 for an 11-month visa
Conditions while applying:
- You can apply from 3 months before the start of your course
- You must pay £348 per person for any dependants
- You can arrive in the UK 1 week before your course starts if your course lasts 6 months or less or 1 month before if your course lasts more than 6 months
Documents to be provided:
- A current passport or other valid travel documentation
- Proof that you can support yourself and pay for your course- this will vary depending on your circumstances